Author Topic: Buying a new flipping stick in the near future  (Read 2298 times)

Kris

Buying a new flipping stick in the near future
« on: September 21, 2016, 06:10:34 PM »

I definitely want to buy a new flipping stick in the near future.  Most everyone knows that I do not spend a lot of money on fishing stuff because I am on SS and my wife is unemployed with no additional income.
I have been using a Gator MH fast tip (more like a Heavy with a very fast tip) since the late 90s for flipping, I love this rod.  It is very sensitive and very light for its design.  That is something you did not find back in the day.  I have been thinking about a Dobyns Fury FR765flip to add to my arsenal.  I do fish some Old Guys Club tournaments but no longer do serious tournament fishing.   Would this be a wise purchase for me?  Any other suggestions?
So much water, so many fish, so little time.

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
Re: Buying a new flipping stick in the near future
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 07:55:13 PM »
Excellent choice yes.  For the price range, I would also highly consider an Enigma Phenom Blank 7'0 MH or 7'3 MH, and for punching or 1oz jigs, the 7'3H Phenom Black series.  The Veritas 2.0 in 7'MH would also be a good deal and less than $100, but the Dobyns would be better than the ABU, and the feel of the Enigma Phenom 7' MH is AMAZING for a Jig/worm pitchin rod.  I would know, I have one. ;)  These also feature the MicroWave Guides.  The Phenom Titanium is the step up and around $150.  The Phenom is $100 and now available in black since many guys did not like the Charteruse color on the original Phenom. 
Your first choice is a great one, maybe just stick with it, and slap a Tatula on it for your B-Day. lol   
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 11:23:15 AM by Admin »
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

Kris

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 05:17:10 AM »
Thanks Bryan.  I have been looking at several for a while but I think I want the Dobyns.  Cheap a*s me, gotta not cause I wanna, needs to watch the cost close right now.  Most of my present rods are from the late 90s, Walmart clearance rack and my one Pride and Joy, my Tom's Custom.  The TCR was my retirement present from me to me.  Not that my Walmart rods are junk.  I have on Skeet Reese and a Falcon BooCoo, each were around $40.00.  Thanks for the input.

Kris

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 02:58:39 PM »
I picked up my Dobyns Fury FR765flip today at Anglers Express.  I gave it a good going over to make sure there were no problems that I would find later.  Having done rods in the past I have a pretty good eye for it.  I believe the rod is very light for its 7.5 foot length with a lot of backbone.  I have temporarily put an AG Silver Max on it until I can make a decision and afford a permanent reel.  Going to try and get out one more time before I pull the batteries out of the boat.  If not I am going to try it out at one of the local ponds for giggles.  Can you see me smiling?

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 09:34:14 AM »
Nice buy Kris.  You'll be very happy!
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

fishnkmp

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 07:06:16 PM »
Only from ear to ear ;D

Kris

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 09:51:30 AM »
I finally got out to work with my new Dobyns Flipping Stick for an hour the other day.  It was middle of the day and I wasn't interested in catching fish but to get used to flipping and pitching again.  It has been a LONG time since I have done it.
I haven't decided on what reel will end up on this rod and set it up with an AG Silver Max for testing purposes.  I backed off the spool adjustment until the spool had side play and then readjusted until there was no side play.  I didn't put any preload on the spool at all.  I also backed off the magnetic backlash adjustment until it was almost off.  The reel is spooled with 30 lb braid and tied directly to a flipping jig.  I picked a place on the hill next to the bridge that put me about the same height off the water as my aluminum boat.
I can tell you now that I need more practice on flipping, pitching and quiet entry.  I didn't do really bad but it has been a LONG time since I did this.  I did have one birdnest that it took me three seconds to unravel so I won't even count that one.
The Dobyns Rod? I am really impressed with this rod.  It's comfortable to use because it feels light for its seven and a half foot size.  I believe this has to do with the balance of the rod.  This rod is rated for twelve to twenty five pound line and one quarter to two ounce baits.  As a medium heavy flipping stick it uses a fast tip to react to the bite and a solid backbone to get that little bugger out of there.  I found the handle to be very comfortable and the rod well put together.  The Dobyns Fury line is their lesser expensive line but not because the corners were cut with lesser quality components.  Gary Dobyns said " But that rod is built with 30 ton Toray material and designed with balance in mind."  "It's very sensitive and the balance makes it feel really light."  I have to agree that it does feel really light.  It would be lighter in my use with a different reel also.
Next time you have the chance, check em out.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 03:10:01 PM by Kris »