Author Topic: Cutting down my fishing rod arsenal  (Read 1227 times)

Kris

Cutting down my fishing rod arsenal
« on: December 03, 2016, 06:48:30 AM »
I have decided to cut down the number of baitcasters that I have.  Since I am not competitively fishing anymore there is no reason for fourteen.  But.....I don't want to hurt myself in being able to do certain presentations at certain lakes either.
I am real happy with my latest purchase, my Dobyns Fury FR765flip flippin stick.  I don't think they're the best out there but I do think they are a very nice rod at a price point I favor. $109.99 for the whole Fury line.  Best thing for me is that Anglers Express carries them and many others so I can go lay my hands on them before I buy them.
I have decided to keep the following eight rods:
Ardent, 7' 2", Spinnerbait rod for Mega Shake underspins, spinnerbaits and chatterbaits
Ardent, 7' 6", Crankbait rod for shallow and medium diving crankbaits
BPS Extreme rod, 7' 6",  MH for soft plastics, smaller jigs
Dobyns Fury rod, 7"6". MH, flippin stick
My Ever Faithful Gator rod, 7', MH/H, very fast tip for Mann's 20+, DD22s and such
A Gator 6' 6", MH that was given to me by a Friend for assorted smaller tasks
To these I have decided to add:
Dobyns Fury FR705CB, 7", 1/4 - 1 oz, MH, Mod fast for crankbaits, jerkbaits and lipless crankbaits
Dobyns Fury FR734C, 7' 3", 1/4 - 1 oz, Fast for buzzbaits, swimbaits, jigs
I think these will fit into my arsenal quite well.  I also have three spinning rods that I usually take one with me when fishing with another person.  I may sell one of those also.  My Red Rocket boat has a total of eight rod sitters, four for me and four for co-angler.  Eight for me when fishing alone.
I am already accumulating a big stack of stuff to take to the Fisherman's Flea Market in March.  Hopefully selling a lot of this stuff to afford the new rods and maybe one reel.  I still haven't decided what that might be.
Any thoughts on my selections appreciated.
So much water, so many fish, so little time.

petersarnold

• Bam!
Re: Cutting down my fishing rod arsenal
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 10:09:16 AM »
I wasn't sure if you were keeping a skipping rod but one of the spinning rods with a whippy tip for throwing under limbs, docks, etc...with sencos, trick worms, tubes, etc...Or maybe you do this already with baitcasters.

Kris

Re: Cutting down my fishing rod arsenal
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 02:57:08 PM »
I am actually selling my old pistol grip baitcaster that I used to skip tubes under docks. I have two old Gator rods.  One says it's a MH and I think it is actually a heavy.  The other is a Gator, 6' 6", MH that should do a pretty good job on skipping.  Relearning flippin and pitchin with the Dobyns flippin stick.  Man am I rusty at that. 
I don't do a lot of tidal fishing anymore.  The old guys club I belong to does more non-tidal, reservoir fishing so I don't see too many docks anymore.  I do a lot of pitching and flipping to downed wood though.
So much water, so many fish, so little time.