Author Topic: Buying some new rods  (Read 1662 times)

Kris

Buying some new rods
« on: February 03, 2017, 07:39:57 AM »
I have been working on getting equipment together for the Middle River Bassfisherman's Flea Market on March 4th.  My plans were to get a couple of new fishing rods to be ready for the 2017 Season.  I came into a couple of dollars so I bought them earlier than expected.
Fishnkmp and I went to look at a few different manufacturers rods yesterday.  I compared several in the power and action class that I wanted.  I looked at the Powell, Duckett, Dobyns and several others. In my opinion, I used to assemble and repair fishing rods, I think the quality of parts, quality of assembly and attention to detail is best in the Dobyns line. They have several lines but I prefer the Fury line because of its $110 price point.  They have the Fury, Savvy Micro Series, Sierra, Champion XP and Champion Extreme.
I am working on updating my Walmart Clearance fishing rods with some better rods without breaking the bank.  Not to say that these rods are junk with Falcon, W&M Skeet Reese and others in my rod rack.  I now own three Dobyns Rods and won't trade them for anything.  I have the FR765flip (flippin stick), FR734C (buzzbaits, jigs, senkos, small swimbaits, spinnerbaits) FR705CB (crankbaits, jerkbaits, lipless rattlebaits, LV500, Sammys).  Maybe some new reels coming soon.
Now all I need is for it to warm up a bit and put the boat back together.  Tight lines
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 07:42:25 AM by Kris »
So much water, so many fish, so little time.

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
Re: Buying some new rods
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 08:53:05 PM »
I hope to see you there at the MR flea market!  Yes the Fury is a good one!
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

fishnkmp

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 09:42:36 PM »
Man it was fun to watch someone else spend money ;D   Seriously I purchased one of the Dobyns Champions DC 705C. My intention is to use it for flipping and frogs.  Since my boat fits a 7 footer max that was my best choice. If you guys are looking for some good rods check them out.

Kris

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 07:15:28 AM »
 I am now proud owner of three Dobyns rods, all Fury Series.  First was my FR765flip and my next purchase was an FR705CB crankbait rod and an FR734C casting rod.  The FR734C is considered to be the most versatile rod in the Fury Series.  Having done custom rods and repairs years ago I am really impressed with the Dobyns Fury Series.  Assembly quality is very good, quality parts and light which adds to the balance and sensitivity.  My guess is there are two more rods in my future,  First is a 703C and a yet unnamed spinning rod.
I also purchased my first new baitcaster in years from Tacklewarehouse.  A well known reel on Baybass that has been field tested over the years by Bryan, a Daiwa Exceler 100, 6.x:1 in LH.  I need one more baitcaster to finish out the arsenal and I also need to update some.  As most of you probably know I won't spend big bucks for rods and reels.  For just under $50.00 my cheap side wouldn't let me pass up this reel.
So, a Dobyns rod and a Daiwa Exceler reel combination for less than $160 is not a bad deal. 

PS, I also ordered some P-Line CX in 12lb for the Exceler.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 04:05:53 PM by Kris »

Toms Custom Rods

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 09:15:02 PM »
Kris you have bought some of the best on the market.  After using them a while let us know what you think.  When working on their rods I gave had great success with their customer service.  Very helpful and speedy shipping on parts.  Parts due to improper treatment not product defects.

I especially like the fact that they dumped Kigan guides and have gone back to Fuji. I think they found out you only get what you pay for.
TOMSCUSTOMRODS.COM

Kris

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 07:22:47 PM »
Thanks Tom.  I have really been impressed with the Dobyns Fury line.  I think their design and execution is very good.  I am really looking forward to a good year with my rods.  The count is now up to four since I added an FR703SF spinning rod.  It runs a little heavier weight than my Blackhorse rod, 5/8 oz.  I have had limited time with the other three so far but hoping to get out in the boat this week sometime.
It was great to see ya at the MR Bass Flea Market.  Hope things are going well for ya.