Author Topic: Another Makeover  (Read 1603 times)

Toms Custom Rods

Another Makeover
« on: January 28, 2016, 12:16:01 PM »
Baybass member fishnkamp /  Bob, brought me a New G Loomis IMX spinning rod.  I didn't take a before photo thinking everyone knows what a full cork grip on a fuji reel seat looks like,  Bob wanted me to strip off the cork and reel seat and replace with New Winn grips and an American Tackle Aero comfort grip reel seat. As you can see I took advantage of the snowstorm for the photos!!

Below is the results of the makeover.

Tom
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 01:11:11 PM by Toms Custom Rods »
TOMSCUSTOMRODS.COM

shawnmockjr

Re: Another Makeover
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 01:21:27 PM »
ooooooo thats sexy!!!

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 04:28:30 PM »
Awesome work Tom
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

fishnkmp

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 08:32:53 PM »
Tom is an artist for sure!  Thanks Tom.  First let me explain my project. I owned a Loomis 6 foot spinning rod ( a SJR-721) in GL3 graphite.  It had the full cork grip and a metal locking nut for the reel.  It broke and I was entitled to partial credit towards the replacement rod. The new GL3's at the time had a weird reel seat so I upgraded to the IMX version. Loomis has gone to all plastic reel seats and locking nuts.  I found the locking part would loosen during fishing.  So I just had to upgrade and that is what Tom did for me. I love it!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 09:00:17 PM by fishnkmp »

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 11:18:00 AM »
Yep, thats baaad ass.
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

petersarnold

• Bam!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 08:50:35 AM »
Tom is the man!  Not only for new custom rods but if you have an old rod with that blank you just can't do without Tom can do anything!  New eyelets, guides, grips, reel seat, hook keeper, etc...! 

Ideas on rods:  http://www.tomscustomrods.com/custom-rods-galley/
Ideas on parts:  http://www.mudhole.com/rod-building

fishnkmp

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 10:32:33 PM »
Wow Kris and I drove up to Tom's house today. The picture is nice, but the actual rod is amazing!!!  If anyone here has not had a Winn Grip in your hand-DO IT!  Check them out. The combo of the 3 pieces of Winn grips and the American Tackle reel seat just blend into your hand.  I had met Tom at a flea market two years ago and knew he took care of Bryan's rods.  I have to admit I was a little scared to mess with a factory G Loomis IMX rod ( costs close to $300) and voids their warranty if I messed it up!  However I should have done this much sooner.  That is the best feeling spinning setup I have ever put in my hand. Kris and I also left him a few new projects to keep him busy.  Kris's project is an old Gator rod ( that one favorite rod you just can't part with).  It is going to get its cork cleaned, the blemishes from service removed ( a fresh coat of paint so to speak) and a new set of guides put on. Mine is a little different.  Several years ago while fishing in Tennessee I purchased a spinning combo to throw light weight jerkbaits.  it was an Okuma Reflextions 6'6'' foot spinning rod, my first with a split grip. They had a super long handle (almost 17 inches)  So if you want to beat up your arm it would do it well.  We are just shortening it up a bit.  In this case we are taking a perfectly good rod and making it better for what I intend it to do.  That is what a true custom builder can do for you.  Soon, I will have to get a complete masterpiece built by Tom. In the mean time my arsenal gets better each time.