Author Topic: Daiwas on sale at Gander Mountain  (Read 3484 times)

fishnkmp

Daiwas on sale at Gander Mountain
« on: June 07, 2016, 08:59:43 AM »
Check out the Daiwa Excelers  are on sale at Gander Mountain.
The right hand 6.3 -1 and the left hand 7.4-2 are on sale for  $49.00
The left hand 6.3-1 are $79.00
great price for a reel this good!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 04:02:53 PM by Admin »

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
Re: Diawas on sale at Gander Mountai
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 11:31:51 AM »
Thanks Bob.  It is indeed a good deal, but I just tried to check out with some of them and the listing says "backordered".  I'm calling to find out the details.  Product was due to be in the warehouse on the 1st, and it's still not there.  Expected to be soon though. 

UPDATE 6/7/16 5pm- I pulled the trigger.  There are now 2 less of them, bringing my current total to 13 of them, and I sold off a bunch last year for newer ones.  lol

« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 04:00:05 PM by Admin »
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

fishnkmp

Re: Daiwas on sale at Gander Mountain
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 04:07:29 PM »
They were on back order for online order but your Fredricksburg store has them in stock FYI for you VA guys.  Glad you got yours.  How are the Lagunas for $29.00.

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 05:14:19 PM »
I'd not recommend the Laguna for guys doing serious bass fishing.  I destroyed one on just ONE fish, one hookset, one cast.  The reel was brand new and I was out with Mike Ward from The Bass College up on the bay in Middle River, and I had a chain pickerel eat my swimbait and I set hard on him with 65lb braid.  The reel immediately sounded like a blender and I was no longer able to use it in the slightest.  The internals literally exploded and I could hear the pieces inside the reel.  I just threw it in the trash.  ;D ;D ;D

I also noticed that Daiwa made a big OOPS on the Laguna.  The past silver model Laguna was sold in a clam shell bubble pack at Dicks last year.  They were eventually cleared down to $13.99 and I bought 6 of them.  I found the side adjustment (the small adjustment Left side plate) to be VERY touchy, and it NEVER stayed put, as the dial would turn sooo easily.  This caused many problems.  Now, whether they fixed this or not with this model, who knows.

I did give/trade a few to friends and I kept 2 for myself in which one took a dump on it's first trip out of the box.  My friends still use them with complaints about the side adjustment, but they are still operational.

In closing, no I do not recommend it and I'd much rather choose the following in order of both PRICE and Quality.

1. Tatula 100 and 200 models  $130 or less for base models (non TypeR) including the baaaad ass HD200

2. Lexa 100 $85 or less

3. Exceler 100 $75 or less

I do love Daiwa, and I recommend their stuff very often, but I also keep it real, and Daiwa should not have bothered with a reel in this price range if they could not have it stand up to my abuse for ONE day.

I gave my buddy Pete (with the white Bass Cat) a Lexa to use for a day.  He called me yesterday and told me he just ordered 5 Tatulas and he's now selling ALL of his Lews on Ebay.  True Story.....  if you like Lew's contact me and I'll give you his email.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 05:32:34 PM by Admin »
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

fishnkmp

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 05:29:10 PM »
I was just curious.  I have never held one.  So far this spring I have sold some rods and reels and then replaced them with one Exceler an three Tatulas.  I now have two Tatula R's, 2 Tatulas and the one Exceler.  I will probably pick up one more Exceler lefty 6.3 this year.  Right now, I am gunning for two rods and a reel for Linda.  I think I have found one combo which will feature an Irod mh spinning rod and a Shimano Symmetry.  Where do you get your Okumas from?

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 05:41:56 PM »
Okumas RTX30S (the ultimate spinning reel under $100) on Ebay/Amazon and how much is the Irod your lookin at?

fishnkmp

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 06:23:44 PM »
That is Fred " Boom Boom"  Roumbanis's heavier finesse spinning rod. I think it is much more capable than it is rated.  It feels much more like a heavy than a mh, kinda like his casting rod for frogs.  At Anglers it is $149.99 minus our discount so it will cost roughly $135 plus we are looking at a Shimano Symmetry for $ 99.99.  Shimano has a 20.00 rebate on them until Friday, so it will end up costing us only $80 for it.  All in all it should be a nice setup for just over $220.  Add some good line for frogging and jigs and she is ready to go.  That reel in a 3000 has a bit larger line capacity and a retrieve rate of 35 inches per turn, that is about the same as my Tatula R 8.3-1. Not bad.  It is however 9 ounces compared to your Okuma's 6.6 oz.  That reel is insanely light.

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 06:42:26 PM »
Yea I'd agree with going to the 3000 size on the spinning reel.  If you were to go Okuma RTX, you'd need the RTX40S, but the Shimano Symmetry is very nice.  The Irod Genesis II is a nice rod for the money, and I really can't find anything comparable (In action) EXCEPT the Veritas 2.0 7' Medium or MH.  Keep in mind these run heavy.  If Anglers Express has these for $75, and they have this model in stock for the BIG SALE this weekend, you'd be able to buy another Veritas for just $15 more.  In this case, I'd highly recommend buying her the 7'M for lipless/stripers and everyday bass stuff, and the 7'0 MH Veritas with a larger capacity reel (3000 Shimano or Daiwa or Okuma RTX 40S) to hold some heavier line like 40lb braid, or 15lb P-Line Original which is limper.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 10:12:26 PM by Admin »

fishnkmp

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 07:36:23 PM »
It is amazing what a good deal the Veritas are, no they do not have the greatest guides, but I have never personally had any trouble with mine. I own the 7 foot heavy that I bought when I called you that day from Dicks.  I picked a heavy that day only because I wanted something for frogging and the store did not have a mh in stock.  I later picked up a mh from Dicks after fishing my heavy one.  I paid like $60 for both of them total.  I am planning on punching with the heavy one.

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 11:29:58 PM »
When the guides break, you've got a reason to see Tom. ;)  then comes the redesign.   :o
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 10:11:56 PM by Admin »

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 12:12:11 AM »
Never again will I order from Gander Mountain.  See here  http://www.baybass.com/forum/index.php?topic=906.0

oubassman

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 05:29:44 PM »
Hey guys, I wanted to share another source to pick up the Diawa Exceler reels that Bryan tried to order from Gander Mountain.   I was looking for a reel to go with the new rod I picked up from Bryan & stumbled on this site for a few Diawa Exceler:  https://www.outdoorproshop.com.

I got an Exceler EXE100HLA with right hand retrieve (6.3:1) for $59.00 with free shipping.  I'm guessing not a lot on the site but a few still available.   

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 08:53:03 PM »
Yes Sir, you got a deal and unlike GANDER MOUNTAIN, you won't get SCREWED over when they can't restock the order and send you some generic ass email saying tough luck and here, click this link and buy something else.  If you missed it, Gander Mountain and I had a falling out.   :D

The EXE100HA (the right hand one) HLA meaning Lefty or "weird" / just kidding, is my #1 most used and abused reel I've ever fished.  They hold up to what I put them through and for that I recommend them highly for holding up as well as they have.  I have a dozen or so of them give or take a few away for surgery at times (I use the Daiwa service dept in Cali).  Daiwa is the number one on my deck and maybe one day I won't have to keep paying for them.   8)

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 09:11:48 PM by Admin »

oubassman

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 11:51:58 AM »
Since you recommended it, I figured I can't go wrong :) 

I have baitcasters in both right and left hand retrieve which so far hasn't bothered me.  looking forward to seeing how it handles!!!!