Author Topic: Tom's Custom Rods delivers another masterpiece  (Read 1413 times)

fishnkmp

Tom's Custom Rods delivers another masterpiece
« on: June 20, 2016, 11:08:41 PM »
Well if you think back a while I had Tom work on customizing a G Loomis SJR-721. Let me share some background. I LOVE LOVE LOVE G Loomis rods for techniques that require a sensitive lite weight rod.  Many moons ago I purchased 2 Loomis spinning rods. These were both 6 footers, one was a SJR-721 and the other was a SJR-722.  These rate 1/16 to 5/16 and 1/8 to 3/8 of an ounce.  Both came with the all metal reel seat with metal ring to lock your reel. I like them and found them to be real comfortable. My problem began when I broke the 721, it was my fault not theirs. So off I go to my local dealer, with money in hand, to pay the fee and receive my replacement rod.  I discovered a problem, Loomis now installed a plastic up-locking reel seat. I hate to have my hand on threads all day so my only other option was to pay an extra fee and upgrade from the IM6 rod to an IMX rod.  That is what I did and expected to be happy again.  Unfortunately the company had gone to all plastic reel seat. This model had a down locking seat with plastic parts to lock your reel on.  The parts would back off and I found myself always re tightening the reel. I was sure this would eventually break so I met up with Tom. Now even though I knew of Tom for years, I was still concerned to rip apart a $300 rod.  We chose the American Tackle reel seat along with a set of Winn split grips. Once that rod was built I was in love with it. It fits my hand perfectly. Next my wife and I traveled to fish Dale Hollow for a week. I swear that rod spent almost 5 hours a day in my hand as many of the 5+ pound smallies I caught were caught on that rod.  Once I got home I realized I had another problem. The 722 rod no longer felt good anymore. Once again Tom came through with another awesome creation.  We sorta did the same setup but since I left my reel with him he set it up so it is perfectly balanced with it and he even did some nice work between the grip sections. Thanks Tom. Once again it is gorgeous. I just can not wait till my foot heals and I can go throw a worm under a dock.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 11:13:35 PM by fishnkmp »

fishnkmp

Re: Tom's Custom Rods delivers another masterpiece
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 11:19:56 PM »
Here is a picture of the 721.  As  yo can see there are some spacing differences as the 721 has a 2500 size reel with a rear drag system and on the 722 I am using a Pflueger 400 series reel for extra line capacity.  Anyway Thanks again Tom
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 08:00:09 AM by fishnkmp »

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 04:16:50 PM »
Looks beast!!
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

fishnkmp

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 05:07:13 PM »
They both balance so well with the chosen reels on each and just melt into your hand.  Now that I have it back I am out on short term disability due to my foot again!  I am PISSED!!!  I honestly do not mind being off from work so much as mechanics were never designed to sit home and do very little! If I could sneak on the boat a few times well... It has been a week and I am so desperate I am considering carrying some minnows over to Wilson Point and throw a line over in the lagoon. After all I can sit on the benches on the board walk right? Hmmm...

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 05:44:14 PM »
Yea I'd say that type of activity is no-where near equivalent to being on your feet turning wrenches all day.  GO FISH!
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.