Author Topic: Neet New Lews Rods  (Read 2726 times)

fishnkmp

Neet New Lews Rods
« on: July 15, 2016, 05:35:39 PM »
Check out the new rods from Lews. The first one is called the Mach Speed Stick. It is an IM6 rod featuring a set of split grips from Winn and a set of Airwave guides. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lews_Mach_Speed_Stick_IM6_Casting_Rods/descpage-XLS.html
They have two reels to match it:
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lews_Mach_II_Metal_Speed_Spin_Spinning_Reel/descpage-M2S.html
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lews_Mach_I_Speed_Spin_Spinning_Reel/descpage-1LMS.html

They also have a couple more rods that have Winn Grips
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lews_Custom_Speed_Stick_Lite_HM85_Casting_Rods/descpage-CEF.html
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lews_TP-1_Speed_Stick_IM8_Casting_Rods/descpage-TPF.html

All three rod series are available in spinning and casting versions.  I kinda like the bling.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 09:41:13 AM by fishnkmp »

fishnkmp

Re: Neet New Lews Rods
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 07:06:05 PM »
I just found out Kistler and others are using both the MicroWave guides and Winn Grips its cool to see.

CptWardog

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 09:28:22 AM »
I've got one of the 7' MH Lew's TP-1's with the split grips and microwave guides and am very pleased.   Got it on sale for $75.  I must say that that's a lot of rod for $75.   So far I really like it.  It is close in comparison it to my Tom's Custom Rods re-worked Ducket Ghosts which are my favorites for just about everything. 

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 02:27:18 PM »
All the rod companies are joining the WINN  group now, plus the microwave guides.  Micro guides im NOT a fan of though....the Microwave are sized just right.
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

fishnkmp

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 02:44:07 PM »
Did you notice there are two series of "wave" guides. The MicroWave guides have the NanoLite inserts.. The AirWave guides have no inserts.  I wonder how they play.  That TP1 looks nice and overall that rod would be my preference since it has the MicoWave guides. I think the two tone WinnGrips look really cool on the Lews Custom Lite rod but it does not have the same guides.  Where did you get the rod on sale at?

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 04:08:48 PM »
The Microwave Titanium guides Tom really likes.  Im gonna ask him on this..
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

Toms Custom Rods

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 05:03:42 PM »
A couple of things. Your going to see a LOT more manufactures use the Winn grips. Cork is getting hard to find and quality cork will price themselves out of the market. The feel of the Winn grip is what gets people's attention. And as it becomes more popular hopefully the price will come down, but don't hold your breath on that one.

On the Microwave guide as with any other guide the biggest part of the weight is the ring. I like the titanium frame on the Microwave guide as it offers two benefits. The frame is not only lighter, which offsets the weight of the ring, but it is impervious to saltwater. And around here we have plenty of that.
American Tackle offers three options on the Microwave guides in so far as the guide ring. Duralight, Nanolight and Air Wave. The only ring I will order is the Nanolight. It compares to the Fuji Alconite in quality and performance. Now,  I am going to catch hell for saying this but I feel the Air Wave is junk. I initially ordered five sets of them when they came out. Upon receipt and looking at them I immediately sent then back. As Bob said there is NO ring in it on the initial guide. So your now running line through a steel ring with a squared off edge. Not on one of my rod builds!!! It is definitely lighter and if someone wants them fine, buy it on some other rod..
If you guys haven't seen the Microwave 30 check it out on Mudhole.com, it's the 30 mm ring in a double foot frame for the heavier applications. I am building one now on a Muskie rod in titanium, if of course...!!!

Tom
TOMSCUSTOMRODS.COM

Toms Custom Rods

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 05:10:37 PM »
Bob, by the way I looked at that Lews on Tackle Warehouse for the money that looks like a really sweet rod. IM 6 is the lower end on graphite but a good dependable product and a lot less likely to break than a hi mod rod.
TOMSCUSTOMRODS.COM

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 05:12:55 PM »
Thanks Tom!!!

fishnkmp

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 07:42:59 PM »
The Mach speed combo ( the green one) is im6 rod, but the Lews TP1 is a white IM8 blank . I was looking at the spinning rod which has white Winn Gripps, some kind of a comfort reel seat similar to the American Tackle on my rod, and Microwave guides.  For $99.00 it maybe a good rod.  That series is the one CptWardog said he just got and liked.

CptWardog

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 04:47:38 PM »
It also has the lure keeper on the trigger/handle (basically a hole drilled through the trigger)..... I think I might just mod all of my rods as it is makes everything simple IMO.   Especially when you are trying to change out rods or pack up your rods as a co-angler during tournaments I could see this being beneficial. 

I got the rod from Gander MTN when they had a spend 100 get 25 off deal.   I got the rod and a bag of plastics to get me over the 100 threshold.  That also included free shipping.   Gander puts out those deals from time to time.   Love the Duckett Ghosts blanks, but the handles and guides are not as nice as the TP1s.   

CptWardog