Author Topic: The Latest and Greatest in Custom Rods  (Read 1708 times)

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
The Latest and Greatest in Custom Rods
« on: July 26, 2016, 07:49:57 AM »
Batson companies under the Rainshadow brand (it seems like) has introduced the Eternity rod blanks which are evidentially the lightest and most sensitive blank available for 2017.  Tom has just discovered this new introduction to the rod building world, and we have both decided to build off these blanks.  For more info on these blanks and build pricing, please contact tom@tomscustomrods.com
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
Re: The Latest and Greatest in Custom Rods
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 09:25:27 AM »
Tom and I just ordered them, and mine is weighing in 1.1oz.  lol.   That's a 6'8" Medium Xtra Fast blank line weight 8-14.  Senco / drop shot / light worm.

When Tom and I are done with this, we hope it will weigh less than the Browning Superlight, and paired with an Okuma RTX30S, nothing on the market will be lighter.
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

fishnkmp

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 01:32:43 PM »
Compare this rod to new St. Croix rod you purchased. That new rod was an Avid X 6'8" Medium extra fast. If Tom built a rod using this new blank with a reel light reel seat and MicroWave guides (probably the Titaniums?) and split winn grips or split eva would that be similar in feel and use to your AvidX?

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 02:19:42 PM »
It's actually going to be MUCH lighter than the Avid which is amazing.  I'm building this with the action of the Avid in mind.  I like the Avid a ton, BUT Pete's got a deal with Kistler and I've played around with the Kistler blanks he has, and these rods feel amazing.  Well, you can't buy Kistler blanks because they are sold to Kistler by North Fork Composites, and not available to the general public.  North Fork Composites (Gary Loomis)  makes some really nice blanks and evidentially these blanks are the closest thing to (if not better) than the high end Kistler blanks, which are VERY impressive.  However, if I'm going to spend $250+ on a rod, it's going to be built perfectly the way I want it and I'm going to select EVERY component down to the winding checks and the hook keeper, along with the blank, guides, reel seat, grips, handle, colors, and more. 

Toms Custom Rods

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 02:18:55 PM »
I spoke with Trey Kistler and asked what blank he is using on the Helium 3 and Magnesium 2 rods.  They are being built by North Fork Composites which is a Gary Loomis company.  Trey has a few that are propriety to them only. 

However here is the HOT news.  Trey told me that if I ordered the Rainshadow  Eternity 2 blanks I might be getting the same or near, blanks that they are using ?????  I'll leave that to your imagination.  it can't be said ????  They are not the same though.

In the future you are going to see more and more manufactures like Kistler using these blanks.  They are made in the USA using the very latest equipment and latest resins along with Gary's experience in building rods. 

These blanks will blow away the famous IMX on which G Loomis built his reputation.  And if anyone thinks that today's G Loomis rods are anything other than a Shimano I have some property in Florida I'd like to sell you. Gary didn't sell the mandrels on which his rods were made he only sold the name.  MHX bought all of Gary's mandrels and truthfully it could be said that the MHX rods are truly a G Loomis.

Tom

TOMSCUSTOMRODS.COM