Author Topic: Okuma BTX?  (Read 1130 times)

CptWardog

Okuma BTX?
« on: March 22, 2017, 05:57:07 AM »
The Okuma RTX-30 is mentioned quite a bit as being the all around best spinning reel for the money on this website.    Is the BTX-30 the same thing as the RTX but just in a lower gear ratio?  I can't seem to find any info on the differences, but they look the same just one is red and the other blue.     Anyway, they are on sale today at West Marine today for $59.   

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
Re: Okuma BTX?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 07:16:11 AM »
That is correct, it (the BTX 30s) weighs the same but has a much slower gear ratio which I would not recommend for 99% of spinning reel applications.  For an extra $25, the RTX offers the higher gear ratio and can be found on Amazon and EBay.  For those very few guys and gals who use spinning reels with deeper diving crank baits, it would be well suited, but for your soft plastics applications, I would always go with the higher gear ratio at 6.0:1 or higher or you'll be missing fish and wrapping up fish around pilings.  No manufacturer makes a spinning reel like the RTX 30s at any price... you'll find the gear ratio to be equal through other manufactures but never the weight, as most other brands will be at least a full 2oz heavier.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 11:39:23 PM by Admin »
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

CptWardog

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 08:22:21 AM »
Bryan,

Thank you for the clarification.   How does it compare to a Helios Spinning reel?  I had one of them.  It was good when it was new, but then after about a year it seemed loose and cheap.  And that was after I lubed and tightened everything up. 

After how highly you rate them, I really want to give the RTX a try, but after the Helios I am a bit wary of trying it.  Do you have one you can lend me for a few weeks or sell me? 

Brian     

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 08:57:07 AM »
In my opinion, if a $75 reel lasts me 12 months of hard-core fishing I am completely happy.  Mine are going on a few yrs each with no issues.  If they can last my abuse for over a year they are well worth the money. 

Same goes for the Daiwa Exceler.... for $50 if it's last 12-18 months, which they do, I'm happy.  The damaged ones I keep a spare parts as cleaning them and repairing them is more expensive than buying a new one.  Of course the $200-$300 Shimano or Daiwa is going to last a lifetime if it's oiled and cleaned each year, and replacing parts every 24months but you'll end up spending $500 on it after 5 years.  The latest and greatest models are always being released and this is why I only expect to keep any reel for just 2 years.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 09:40:36 AM by Admin »
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

petersarnold

• Bam!