Author Topic: PETER ARNOLD'S 1988 Ranger 390V PIMPING / RESTORATION PROJECT  (Read 3496 times)

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
This will be the MASTER collection of before and after pics of the project I've been taking care of.  (Peter Arnold, a great friend and fishing partner of mine asked me to find him a boat).  I just got the boat back from Mr. Spoiler in Manassas, and she's looking mighty fine.  Next up is Harbin Marine and Quality Marine for all motor and electrical. Some pics below but even these pics don't do it justice.  She's blinding and turning heads everywhere she goes. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 03:44:11 PM by Admin »
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
Re: PETER ARNOLD'S 1988 Ranger 390V PIMPING / RESTORATION PROJECT
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 08:20:50 AM »
Overhead shot.  Yes thats Black pearl sparkly paint on the motor also!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 03:42:51 PM by Admin »
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

petersarnold

• Bam!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 07:42:07 PM »
She is looking pretty fine.  Looking forward to firing her up on the water.  I have been writing some stuff and eventually it will make it to the main site.  Next stop HARBIN Marine!

PS - Could not have done any of this without Bryan.  He has been incredibly helpful...above and beyond!

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 01:16:12 PM »
Harbin Marine is where she is now.  She's looking pretty damn good for a ol' gal. BTW, one of my snitchin' ass neighbors called the “HOA police” on me.  Two Rangers back to back in and out of the driveway got somebody's butt all bent out of shape.  lol. Just for the record..., "F them" is what I say.  I will bring the war to them.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 07:08:05 AM by Admin »

petersarnold

• Bam!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 07:09:59 PM »
HOA police?  :( 

This weekend I will work on some before and after pic comparisons.  Stay tuned!

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 08:16:56 AM »
This is the install listing for Harbin Marine

1. Slidemaster 6" Jack Plate
2. Pro-Trim steering wheel mounted trim lever
3. Three Battery trays with strap downs
4. Three shock lids for rod box, bow box and rear port side cooler
5. Bilge Pump
6. Auto Float switch for bilge
7. Two Lowrance HDS 7 units Bow and Stern
8. Lowrance unit for strickly sonar / mounting on console
9. Check trailer hubs and Bearings
10. Obtain power for all electronics, dash, tm, and pumps/lights
11. (3) Under console lights

fishnkmp

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 09:19:18 PM »
Wow she is almost your twin sister

LargemouthAss

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 03:05:36 PM »
Boat looks great! I see you have a Johnson with a VRO. You will hear a lot of people badmouthing the VRO but it is a good system if properly maintained. Since the boat is a 1988 I suggest you get a new VRO to be safe. If that VRO dies and doesn't oil the motor you will need a whole new motor.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 02:43:08 PM by LargemouthAss »

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 04:14:17 PM »
Thanks Largemouthass .... true, VRO is shot and we knew that at purchase so we plan to bypass and PM oil each fillup and since tanks are divided this should be a piece of cake measurements wise. 

The GT 150 is a decent motor and usually a strong one for many years.  We are still awaiting leak down testing and if bad, we'll part out and swap out to Merc Blackmax Xri 200 identical to mine for around $2000 done deal considering the value of the GT150, even if the powerhead is trashed.  Peter got a good deal on the boat so if the powerhead doesn't pass leakdown, we can still go with a rebuilt or used PH for $1800 (the rest of the motor is fine) or swap out to Merc and still get $1,000 for the whole motor as is now.  A used xri Blackmax Merc identical to mine is $3K in awesome condition.  Only issue is no warranty but I'm not too worried.  Mercury PH's are a dime a dozen especially in FL
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 04:28:50 PM by Admin »

petersarnold

• Bam!
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 09:15:44 AM »
How to Find and Renew a Ranger Classic!
How to Find and Renew a Ranger Classic!

I decided it was time to stop fishing from the bank and to break down and get a used bass boat.  I timidly mentioned this to the wife but to my surprise she said, “Yes”.  I called Bryan before she could change her mind!  Full disclosure, Bryan, is a Ranger Boat fanatic, so I knew a Ranger would be on the list.  Bryan, aka BayBass, is the type of guy that can tell you what year Ranger switched all their transoms to fiberglass;  1987 in case you are wondering.  The first 3 steps are easy and I have posted them below.  Do yourself a favor and do the first 3 steps!

Step 1 – Read this article at BayBass.com, The Under $10K Bass Boat Buyer's Guide

Step 2 – After reading the whole article, go to the section, Here are my top choices for used bass boats under 10K, and start running auto-search tools.  Set up a new email, like buyingAboat@gmail.com, and have matches sent ASAP from:
·       Ebay.com
·       BoatTrader.com
·       Boats.com
·       BassBoatOutlet.com
·       Boats.iboats.com
·       Bassboatcentral.com
·       Local boat dealers who sell used bass boats – tell them what you are looking for and your price range but expect to pay more.

Step 3 – Be patient!!!  Give yourself at least 6 months to find a gem!  The best time to buy will be in the off season but this will make it hard to test due to the cold, wind, and possible ice.  Have the cash ready because you never know when that classic will show up, everyone takes cash, and the bank is closed on Sunday!

Guess what!?  I found my classic, a 1988 Ranger Comanche 390V pictured below (before and after Mr Spoiler, http://www.mrspoiler.com/), and I plan on posting often to tell you about the trials and tribulations of how it all went down along with BayBass and I’s efforts to bring back her sparkle.  Stay tuned.

Tight Lines,

Peter Arnold
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 09:28:45 AM by petersarnold »

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 01:39:56 PM »
Awesome B & A pics!   And this is before all the work by Harbin. 

All electronics, gauges, switches, and pumps are working.

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 09:59:26 AM »
This rig is 90% done.  Kevin from Quality Marine is in charge of the motor, and we found that from the motor sitting too long for years and years, that one of the cylinders has accumulated a little rust and therefore leakdown test was not not a pass on the first go-around.  Upon testing more after running the motor for a while, the leakdown numbers on #6 went down and are close to spec as I guess some of the rust worked it's way out. 

Don't ever think that a boat that has super low hours on the motor or a boat that has sat around for years and years without usage is a good thing. Condensation inside the cylinder head from being garage kept in  different / changing weather conditions eventually turn to rust inside one of the cylinder walls.   We know this because Kevin scoped it. 

Upon test run in this boat yesterday Kevin found that it will not run full throttle and this is due to the carbs needing rebuilt / cleaned.  We are no longer worried about the rust which has seemed  to work itself out some and the cylinder head should be fine at this point.  Now the new carb  kits are  in and this boat should be up and running 100% within 10 days. 

This purchase was a good one and to this day there is not another 390 series that has a cleaner hull then Peter's including my own .   
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 12:24:36 PM by Admin »

petersarnold

• Bam!
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 05:28:12 PM »
Thanks Bryan for updating folks.  I have been quite busy but she is getting close.  The kit is in and Kevin plans to work the carburetor rebuild this week.   Fingers crossed!

Now in regards to Harbin Marine.  I am very happy with the service and there are a few odds and ends to finalize but they are a stand up crew.  I can highly recommend them if you are looking for a marine mechanic and installer.  They will give it to you straight.  They spent 18 hrs with my boat and worked the following:
  • Remove and dispose of old fuel
  • Install battery trays
  • Install battery straps
  • Check all pumps
  • Install new automatic bilge pump
  • Add ON/OFF/ON switch
  • Checking and rewiring main electric, get power to dash and all lights
  • Installing 2 new fish finders, wiring, and transducers
  • Add trim adjustment on the steering column
  • Install jack plate
  • Install new shocks on storage lockers
  • Check all dash gauges and make sure they work 
  • Make sure trolling motor works
  • Check wheel bearings on the trailer
  • Install new 3 bank charger
  • Install keel guard
  • Install new screws where needed
Tight lines, getting excited,

Peter Arnold

petersarnold

• Bam!
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2017, 09:06:23 AM »
Well, picking her up today.  Motor mechanic Kevin hit 60 mph on the GPS so she is ready.  Going to clean her up and get her out to the water.  A little nervous as this is my first big boat but I look forward to fishing!

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2017, 10:55:27 AM »
Don't forget to choke her a little.  Push that key in as you turn her over until she fires, then burp her with the hot foot.  Old carb girls need a little choke.