Author Topic: Burke Lake : A true challenge  (Read 5160 times)

dmn276

Burke Lake : A true challenge
« on: October 31, 2013, 10:45:04 AM »
Hello everyone my name is Dennis Nease I am a member Of BayBass pro staff. My first topic I would like to bring up on this forum is Burke lake located in northern Va between Fairfax Va and Lorton Va. As evryone knows who lives in this area and has fished Burke it can be a tough lake to crack. Reason being it has a huge forage base of shad which is the primary. Then other fish such as blugill etc etc not to mention its huge crayfish population. Anyone can fish Burke and if the fish are on the various forms of shallow cover the lake offers one can have a pretty good day, with even a couple really nice fish possibly. A limit of 12 to 14 inch largemouth can be caught with relative ease. However if yall have fished Burke for as many years as I have we all know her moods can change in a heartbeat and when her moods change. Watch Out  !!. When the largemouth start following the shad around the lake alot of times directly over the creek channel or along various migration routes it can be brutal. These fish are suspended, alot of fisherman can fish suspended fish very well Burke lake will challenge the best . Over the years I have fished in this area with alot of really top notch fisherman. Some of them fish Burke real well. But even they have very hard times out there sometimes. A very good old friend of mine who I started Bass fishing with over 23 years ago says one of the best baits to fish Burke with when the fish are not on the shallow cover is a spinnerbait its a very good bait to fish between the water colums, these days there are so many baits a fisherman can throw at these fish and now this new A- rig is out I am not very familiar with it. I do know it has its applications from time to time. Anyway if anyone has anything to add to this discussion please do. When I have more time I will enter this forum again and continue this discussion on Burke Lake. Thanks and have a good day. Dennis Nease BayBass staff. Tightlines !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Keep Fishin !!

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
Re: Burke Lake : A true challenge
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 02:37:52 PM »
Your post is totally on point.  It's a baitfish/shad pattern lake, and the bass seem to just cruise around in large schools under the shad, then they'll turn on, go nuts for a while, then hunker back down.  Very few bass are caught fishing it like tidal water, when your mostly up shallow and pounding banks and grass/reeds.  "True challenge"......more like a test of your sanity or a "anger management" class. >:( >:( >:(
I've caught good fish here, yet so many trips I told myself I'd never come back!!

I'd rather just go out there targeting muskie from now on.  I've never caught one, and would love to catch "the fish of 100,000 casts" or for me...a lifetime first.

.....has anyone stuck any muskie recently?  They love the cold water!
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

dullhooks

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 10:30:20 AM »
Do not overlook fishing Lurke at night!!!
Also big lures.  When I say big, go to the store, look at what you think is big, then move over to the next size up!!!

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 11:29:29 AM »
Do not overlook fishing Lurke at night!!!
Also big lures.  When I say big, go to the store, look at what you think is big, then move over to the next size up!!!

Hey dullhooks, can you post some pics of the hawgs you caught out of here, including that muskie!  Thanks!
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

quanjig

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 07:42:19 PM »
Before I converted over to the res for most of my fishing, I was a twice a week guy at Burke. It truly is a place you can zero or be a hero! Most of the successful outing I have had out there have been from October thru ice over  find you some of the old brush piles and drag a big jig thru them and hold on!!

Here is a nice walleye from last year during the draw down for dam repair

quanjig

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 02:40:52 PM »
I'm going to give it a go this weekend. I will post results!!

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 06:57:31 PM »
Give them an extra slaying for the times they gave me a rough time this year!  Catch a 40lb Muskie too for me!
Good luck and we'll be looking forward to the report.  Post it on the forum fishing reports and copy it onto this "Burke Lake" post under General Discussion. :D

Burke Lake Contour map below.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 11:08:29 AM by Admin »

quanjig

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 03:54:54 PM »
I decided to try Burke since the res is a big dirty mess. Fished from about 8:30-3:30. Caught 12 fish from 2.5-3.5lbs. Lost a few better fish, no giants. Lots of beds, some vacant, some with males. They were fairly easy to catch. Senko did most of the work with 1 jig fish. Lots of fish along the dam

dmn276

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 01:07:45 PM »
Good job quanjig that's a good total for Burke.......it really is......see ya on the RES soon have some engine issues to work out after that Brian and I will be on it. Dennis
Keep Fishin !!

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 07:45:29 AM »
For Burke Lake reports simply type "Burke Lake" in the search box on the main page www.baybass.com, as well as the search box here on the forum.  This will bring up all reports from Burke
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 10:04:58 PM by Admin »

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 07:23:24 PM »
Burke Lake Monster Vid.

https://youtu.be/Z3XnEa3X4so