Author Topic: A Great High Quality Spinning rod.  (Read 901 times)

dmn276

A Great High Quality Spinning rod.
« on: February 14, 2018, 09:47:04 AM »
Hello everyone I usually dont do alot of write ups especially on rods, reels, etc. I try and concentrate on actual fishing reports to inform fisherman of existing conditions at the time. However today I am going to do a small pump up of a particular G Loomis rod that is on the market that is an awesome little rod, it deserves mention. The rod I am speaking of is the  Loomis GL2....SJR 721. 6 Foot light, fast action 6-10 lb lure size 1/16-5/16 it has the A model grip or handle. The one I have is the GL2 which my father had and was past down to me when he passed away. However Loomis makes this rod in the IMX and GLX now I believe. The GLX model is very expensive in the 400 dollar range. I bought another one  yesterday from American Legacy Fishing that Bryan told me about I purchased the IMX model I paid 225 with a 10 % discount coupon for joining the website. Ok now the low down on this rod. I will make this as short as possible. This rod using 6 lb P -Line cxx combined with a pointer 78 xd is an unreal light line jerk bait combo. It handles big fish if fought properly, last year on Gaston I caught many spots on this jerk bait. And I landed a 4 lb hybrid striper also that fought very very hard but if you use your drag system properly landing bigger fish s possible. This rod will for sure handle them. My biggest largemouth on this rod I caught last year down south was a 4 lbs he ate a 78 sp in 4 feet of water once again proper drag use was crucial.This rod is also very good for super finesse fishing with plastics. Its really good for the ned rig deal, small crankbaits, small plastics, shakey head applications, and lighter texas rigs using small plastics. This rod people is perfectly balenced and is for sure worth the buy. I now have 2 of them, usually as I stated earlier I dont do write to often on rods, as I primarily use bait cast equipment but last year I began fishing a little different alot more off shore fishing which I applied some of these tactics mentioned above and this rod performed very well, where using 15 lb cxx and a 1/2 or 1 oz jig or whatever just wasnt producing as well. So yes..this rod deserves proper mention. Well everyone get ready get your equipment up, get on the water and BE SAFE !....Tightlines....Dennis
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 09:51:42 AM by dmn276 »
Keep Fishin !!

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
Re: A Great High Quality Spinning rod.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 10:16:18 AM »
^. Yes, this rod (the IMX model) is the best rod on the market for ned rig and small jerkbait unless u are taller and prefer the 6’6.  Using anything over 6’6 for ned or small jerk in the spinning rod category is not the right move.  Go short.....:) 

American Legacy Fishing has the best pricing at $225 after the discount....  Sign up for the newsletter and get 10% off.  This is where I recommended Dennis buy it, and he did!!!

This rod is the BEST blank for the small stuff!  Smallmouth anglers will fall in love with it also. 
https://www.americanlegacyfishing.com/g-loomis-classic-spin-jig-fishing-rod-sjr721-imx.html
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 10:23:56 AM by Admin »
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

petersarnold

• Bam!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 03:15:52 PM »
When we finally get out there bring this rod!  I would love to try it out as my go to smallie rod and at 6 ft it is great for those tight spaces like shore, canoes, and kayaks.

fishnkmp

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 12:09:50 AM »
Linda and I both fish with the 721 and 722s. Last trip on Dale Hollow had us throwing Ned rigs over grass in 20 foot of water. The big girls left the spawning beds 2 days before we got there. OUCH!! Every bass I caught for the first 4 days was caught using that rod (mine are the imx and GL3, hers are GL2 and Gl3s). That 721 is the one I had a bad reel seat locking nut and had Tom rebuild it (even though it was under warranty)  We chose a comfort reel seat and Winn Grips in natural color. Believe it or not the rod is more sensitive built this way with the split grip and one of Bryan's favorites, an Okuma RTX 30. It feels like nothing in my hand. The biggest bass I landed during that trip was a 7 pound smallie, along with many 5s.  I enjoyed Tom's handywork so much that I had him rebuild my 722 to match.  This picture shows the rod with the first reel I put on it. That has been moved to the 722 and the RTX30 is now on the 721.  These rods are amazing.

Here is Linda's BIG fish for that week. It was an 6 pound cat. That thing ran her from the back deck to the front,around and back again. I sat at the console laughing since I knew what she had. A A pod of fish lit up the depth finder just before she got bit, all week that had been cats or walleye that would not eat.