Author Topic: Glory Bags Tournament Culling Systems / The Science Behind It / A Great Read  (Read 421 times)

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
When most animals are attacked or feel threatened, they release chemicals from the adrenal glands; cortisone or corticosteroids.  Humans release these same chemicals. The chemicals cause adrenalin rushes that give animals more energy/power to engage in the "fight or flight" response. This is commonly exhibited when a bass violently bangs around inside a livewell after fighting on the end of an anglers line.

A bass that is restrained in some fashion such as in a livewell without it’s head and eyes covered, causes the bass to continue the “fight or flight” response causing prolonged stress and additional chemical releases.  The result is a build up of cortisone or corticosteroids in the muscle tissue; "backfire". This causes the bass to overdose on adrenaline chemicals which causes even more stress. Call it a “panic attack” of sorts.

Covering the head and eyes of a bass helps decrease the amount of adrenalin released. Therefore, the “fight or flight” response is minimalized and the bass will remain relatively/comparatively calmer while being transported to another location, even in a 2’ chop at 60mph.

Glory Bags help calm the bass and significantly aid in controlling the fishes panic attack, most evident when first introduced to their new environment aka livewell. Throughout the tournament day, the bass is often reminded of this capture and inability to escape.  This is easily triggered by noise or movement such as placing another fish in the livewell or even a co-angler moving around on the back deck.  We as humans have breathing exercises and cognitive behavioral therapy which work wonderfully to control panic attacks.  Bass only have Glory Bags. ;)

I’ve used them for years and I can personally attest to their success when keeping fish calm and alive without regurgitating food and losing weight causing the angler a loss of earnings/placement. Glory Bags has been a BayBass sponsor for a few years now and I’m proud to continue this relationship.
 Click on the banner above at the top of the page to see the bags in more detail .

-Bryan “BayBass” Novotny
BayBass.com 
703 939 0500
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 06:09:34 AM by Admin »
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

apenland01

I bought my Ranger 492VS last summer and I've been getting it ready to fish basically ever since.  I found a guy to fish tournaments with and we are fishing our first tournament in a couple of weeks.  I don't have a culling system and I remembered seeing these Glory Bags on here when I read the boat buying guide.

A few questions before I buy the bags.

1.  How long will these last?  Would they hold up for quite a long time or need to be replaced every year?

2.  Do they float or sink?  If they float, I'm afraid they would interfere with the aeration in my old Ranger's livewell since it spits the water on the top.

3.  I can't tell by the pictures, but does the bag zip on the top and sides, or just the sides?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Alf

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
[size=0px]1.  How long will these last?  Would they hold up for quite a long time or need to be replaced every year?
Mine have lasted 4 years without issue.  Do not bend/fold them though.  To be extra safe, I've used a safety pin on each zipper to attach it to the main bag so there is ZERO chance of the fish getting out of the bag.  I've had one or two slip out of the bag and luckily I was in a team tourney. 
2.  Do they float or sink?  If they float, I'm afraid they would interfere with the aeration in my old Ranger's livewell since it spits the water on the top. 
The bags sink and should not mess with your livewells areation.  They are mesh anyway and allow the water to pass through.  You will think all your fish are dying the first time you use them.  The fish won't move at all and some will lay belly up.  It's pretty funny......lol    They just go to sleep and are calmed by the bag surrounding them. 
3.  I can't tell by the pictures, but does the bag zip on the top and sides, or just the sides? 

The bag opens up like a clam shell and zips open on the sides and top.  They also make culling VERY easy because you can just hang the scale on the bag hook, as each colored bag has a hook just like a coat.  I've dropped hundreds of bass over the years onto the deck of boats and worse (concrete) by weighing them on a scale and having them flop off.  These bags totally eliminate that issue.  They also are great for keeping stripers (under 24"/crappie and other tasty fish alive longer in livewells.

Hope this all helps

[/size]
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

apenland01

Thanks!  I guess I'll go ahead and pick up a set.  Ordering them now.

Alf