Author Topic: MD AND VA FISHING REPORT SUMMER 2018 COMMENTS  (Read 243 times)

awfishpr

MD AND VA FISHING REPORT SUMMER 2018 COMMENTS
« on: July 16, 2018, 08:36:34 PM »

Thanks for the fishing reports

The Potomac river fishing reports did not mention any top water bite. Some other web site fishing reports claim the frog bite was good all day just change color if sunshine or cloudy weather. Appreciate any comments on frog fishing

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
Re: MD AND VA FISHING REPORT SUMMER 2018 COMMENTS
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 11:00:01 AM »
The topwater bite is not always the best bite.  There have been many days I’ve gone through an area for 50 yards of prime grass at sunup 6:40 am on the Potomac, and blanked only to go back through it with a senco and catch 5 fish for 17-20lb.  They’ll eat a frog on top at high noon if the conditions are right, but I have continuously patterned those river fish to seek out thermoclines and/or shade or deeper grass mats and edges when they have 90 degree water temps and high sun.  Also one creek on the Potomac might have an amazing frog bite going on while another suffers without a single frog bite all day.  Fish are weird, and sometimes you just can’t call it or explain it.

Frogging can be exhausting, especially if you don’t have a top-quality lightweight state of the art frog rod with the unfortunate part being the “expensive“. The Kistlers and Loomis, and a Tom’s Custom
High mod blank are all gonna be around $300.  High speed 7.1:1 or higher reel is also needed, spooled with 50-65+ lb braid.  In Thailand my buddy says they use 100lb for froggin up the giant snakeheads.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 11:02:01 AM by Admin »
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.