Author Topic: Lake Burke DGIF Fishing Issues Update  (Read 474 times)

awfishpr

Lake Burke DGIF Fishing Issues Update
« on: August 02, 2018, 08:09:57 PM »

Detail Lake Burke DGIF Fishing Issues are available on this site. Brian started this subject and I am trying to keep it visible on DGIF'S project list. Some of the issues are replacing the very shallow narrow boat launch ramp, boat and trailer parking etc.

Email to DGIF

I was at Burke lake today  and check to see if any action on Burke lake fishing issues I did not see any.
What is the status of the above subject,

DGIF's Response

"Hi Wayne.  Unfortunately our plans for a finger pier have been held up in a bureaucratic snafu needing official review due to classification as "new construction".  We have argued the point to no avail.  Funds we had budgeted for purchase last year are now gone, and our budget is very bad.  A perfect storm of government inaction if you will.  I apologize. 
The access road should be fixed soon.  Thanks. 
John"

petersarnold

• Bam!
Re: Lake Burke DGIF Fishing Issues Update
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 07:26:03 AM »
Is there anything we can do to help push it though?  Emails, phone calls, etc...

awfishpr

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 09:50:56 PM »

Summary of email to DGIF
Funds taken out of DGIF budget
No notification to fishing community
Asked for POC on DGIF budget no response
This is politics in action.  I am willing to pursue these issues if we can get DGIF budget issues identified. If this board is willing to notify their legislators of DGIF budget issues that impact the fresh water fishing community. Our legislators can affect the DGIF budget this is the only to try and protect the DGIF budget, by notifying fishing community of budget issues.
No response for offers to help DGIF budget
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Email to DGIF
 How can VMRC take money out of DGIF budget? How did VMRC accomplish reducing DGIF budget?
Was this reduced DGIF budget action mention in https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/legislation/? This web site seems to focus on non-budget action.

What web site show the reduction of funds in DGIF in FY18?

This site does seem to mention VMRC taking DGIF funds to  https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wp-content/uploads/05232017-FAC-Meeting-Materials.pdf

What web site and link is for DGIF budget?

Do you have to use all your year funds or if a surplus can it be place in a  rainy day fund for the future.

I recommend DGIF let freshwater fisherman know of  reductions in DGIF budget so we can contact our state legislators and voice opposition.
I am active member to multiple fishing web sites and would be glad to post DGIF budget issues or other issues that I feel need public support.

Recommend a small increase in licenses but explain what it would be used for boat ramps, parking, etc.
Most fisherman would support a license increase if they knew what the money would be used for.
If a license increase is accomplished can these new funds be protected from another agency taking the money or going into the General funds?

Wayne

petersarnold

• Bam!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 01:17:07 PM »
Is Wayne actively pursuing public support for opposing DGIF budget reductions?

awfishpr

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 04:37:24 PM »
Reply to petersarnold

I am a member of Virginia Coastal Conservation Association Virginia CCA and DGIF John Odenkirk is one contact on Burke Lake fishing issues boat ramp, parking etc.
This is also an opportunity for concern fisherman to express their view over Burke lake issues, DGIF funding issues, no notification of DGIF budget issues, reduction in reach studies etc., as mention in my previous emails. You do not have to be a CCA member to attend.

September 18th – John Odenkirk –Fisheries Biologist from Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries(VDGIF)

John has a BS in Forestry and Wildlife from Virginia Tech, and a MS in Fisheries Biology from Tennessee Tech. He worked with sturgeon and striped bass for the USFWS in Florida before returning home to manage a district for the VDGIF. Northern Snakeheads landed in his lap in May 2004, and he has been investigating the introduction ever since.  John will be speaking to our group about a variety of topics in our local area, including his Fall fishing calendar, Snakeheads, Potomac River Bass Fishing, and recent adventures in shocking up fish.

Fairfax/Arlington Elks Lodge
8421 Arlington Blvd.
Fairfax, VA 22031

Meetings will start at 7:00 pm and will be in the “Arlington Room” .
We have the room from 6:45 – 9:30 – Meeting topics/discussion will start at 7:00.
The Elks Lodge provides CCA with this room free of charge, and although you are not required to purchase beverages, we encourage you to order, and enjoy!
Door prizes at every meeting

petersarnold

• Bam!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 02:10:19 PM »
Wayne,

Any updates from the meeting?

Tight lines

Pete

awfishpr

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 07:20:32 PM »

Reply to petersarnold

Partial CCA and DGIF meeting update
I asked DGIF for a POC on Fisheries Budget
DGIF Response
No POC Fisheries Budget provided
My current status on Fisheries Budget POC
After a long search for this information, I found the senior staff contact for Fisheries and Planning and Finance budget. I am preparing email request for DGIF budget information especially budget reductions.
DGIF
Announced that Burke Lake had to much grass from a fish survey last month.
I asked DGIF
How do you derive how many grass carp should be placed in Burke lake to manage the grass beds?
As you stated at the meeting musky fingerlings eat each other and grass is where the young of the year hide from predators.
I believe at Lake Anna grass carp destroyed most of the grass and fishing guides were not happy.
DGIF Response
 Wayne.  Yes - grass carp stocking is very tricky business indeed.  Typically following stocking, there is little or no change in plant biomass (not enough fish were stocked), or all vegetation is eliminated within a few months or year at most (too many fish stocked).  The middle ground is hard to reach, as each lake differs in productivity, predators, and most importantly plant species and biomass.  Thus, the old "10 to 12 fish per vegetated acre" does not work well and typically results in complete plant eradication especially in larger impoundments.  This happened recently when we overstocked Motts Reservoir, and all plant were eliminated, and Grass Carp now are more abundant than bass along shorelines.  At Burke, we have been stocking fewer fish each year trying to incrementally get to the magic middle ground.  We will stock another 300 next year and will hopefully achieve our goal of reducing plant biomass without elimination of this valuable habitat feature. 
DGIF
Burke Lake experience a musky population significant decline.  DGIF does not know and why plan to stock 600 musky fingerlings
DGIF
Conducted a detail survey of the impact of the removal of the Embrey Dam on the Rappahannock River near Fredericksburg to see what happened to the fish population. Dam removal was designed to increase spawning grounds for herring shad, and stripers.
I asked DGIF
To provide what types and percent of fish species types, like smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, crappie, etc. that were before and after dam removal.   

petersarnold

• Bam!
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 06:17:36 PM »
I am confused.  Isn't grass good, grass carp bad for bass and muskie fishing? 

petersarnold

• Bam!
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 06:20:52 PM »
Wayne,  Have you posted any of this on FB threads too?

awfishpr

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 08:48:51 PM »

petersaround

I agree grass is good. DGIF was shocking fish at Burke and kept getting their electrical wands hung in grass. Another issue is shore fisherman find it hard to fish without wading in the water. The problem seems to be DGIF does not have a proven way to determine how many grass carp are required to remove the grass without effecting the shelter for small fish.
I do not post these issues that I bring to BayBass on FACEBOOK.
I have enough work working trying to help CCA and trying to get VMRC to place a creel limited on Hickory shad. The VMRC does not have any Hickory shad fishing regulation only regulation for American shad.
I am concerned that Hickory Shad will be over fished. I watched large coolers of Hickory shad caught and removed from the fishery.
No game fish should have no creel limits. If VMRC does not know how many are being removed from the fishery it may be too late to set creel limits.
As you know overfishing combined with bad spawns can deplete a fishery.
Thank you for responding to my post.