Author Topic: Lake Thoreau Report for 1/2/19  (Read 146 times)

dmn276

Lake Thoreau Report for 1/2/19
« on: January 04, 2019, 12:56:10 PM »
Howz it goin everyone on 2 Jan I got out on Lake Thoreau for approx 5 hours. The fishing was tough, I really had to work pretty hard to catch fish. I finally went to a bank that I usually catch fish on that has deep water right there, after trying some other stuff a little shallower water that did not produce. Find the specifics below. I will keep everyone posted throughout the late winter on how the lake is progressing through the winter into early March.

Air Temp ..Approx 44 to 45
Wind.........SSW Approx 10 to 12 mph maybe 15 at times.
Skies.........Overcast
Water Clarity....3 to 4 feet
Water Temp.....40 41 degrees.
Baits Used......Lucky Craft Pointer 78 xd..and 100 xd....3 inch chartreuse grub on an open 1/8 oz owner grub head. Drop shot rig 8 inch leader using a Zoom june bug colored shakey head worm. 3/8 OZ Booyah spinnerbait crawled on the bottom. 3/8 Oz Cincy Fisher Blade bait in chrome and brass. Last but not least the Ned rig on the 110 head 6 lb test loomis ultra light spinning rod.

My productive baits were the pointer 78 xd on 6 lb cxx moss green using my other loomis ultra light rod.My color was ghost minnow.
My other productive bait was the ned rig fished in 7 to 10 feet of water..the color was black and blue mixed.

The fish I had noticed right at launching had moved a bit shallower. Right out in front of my condo. I located fish on the main drop going into 15 feet of water the fish were suspended up approx 3 feet up off the bottom in about 10 to 12 feet. I also found fish out at the end of a shallow tapering point also right out in front of the condo. Those fish had earlier left this location to the tip of the point with much deeper water right there on a much steeper drop then the other side where they had returned to..at least on this day ?? the other fish were on a bank that just has some deep docks on it across lake. The fish were just cruising a stretch of bank about a football field in  length out off the docks about 10 yards these fish ate the jerk bait and the ned rig by the way which was the short Z man ned bait. My best fish out of the 6 fish I caught I lost when it came up and shook the bait off probably 1.5 lb fish. My other 5 fish were small fish between 9 and about 13 inches they had very good color and fought well with alot of energy. Oh well as I stated I will write a small report on each outing everyone be safe while on the water. And Tight Lines........Dennis
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 03:03:23 PM by dmn276 »
Keep Fishin !!

oubassman

Re: Lake Thoreau Report for 1/2/19
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 06:52:06 PM »
Nice job catching some

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 07:09:28 PM »
Thanks for the report Dennis.  None on the Cincy Fisher surprises me but if they aren’t on the bottom it’s tough getting them to eat the Cincy.

It’s tough to beat the 78xd when they are 10-15’.  I’ve been fishing mine on 10lb braid to get it really DEEP in the 13-16’ zone.  The 2lb diameter beats the floating braid factor.
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

dmn276

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 09:10:30 AM »
Thanks Bryan yea man the 78 is a bad beast. They slam it to....Dennis
Keep Fishin !!

awfishpr

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 02:27:53 PM »
Thanks for the report

How do you work the NED rig just slow crank it in?

dmn276

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 03:25:31 PM »
No I just fish it on the bottom...and I drown it.

Keep Fishin !!