Author Topic: Potomac River Hot Water Discharge Report, 1/6/19  (Read 188 times)

petersarnold

• Bam!
Potomac River Hot Water Discharge Report, 1/6/19
« on: January 07, 2019, 07:01:18 PM »

Teach a kid to fish!  I am teaching my son to fish!  He's hooked!  It was awesome.

http://www.baybass.com/node/350 - Are you fishing?  Hot water is waaay different than the normal winter cold water, deep and slow approach.

Tight Lines,

Pete

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
Re: Potomac River Hot Water Discharge Report, 1/6/19
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 09:12:50 PM »
Nice report......there are sooo many discharges around here it's crazy.  The upper Potomac has two within 1 hr of northern va.  One on Broad Run, and one at Dickerson Power Plant.

The Lower Potomac has 5 or 6 that I can think of right now

FMR
BP
QC
NC
ALEX
RR

Then you have the upperbay's SC, BS, and the BR Sea Pickle Plant along with the Inner Harbor plants which hold the stripers.  Use your imagination on the sea pickles.

Up north you have Conwingo

Down south you have Lake Anna

Then you have the Loudoun County Jacuzzi ponds, a great place to teach a kid in the winter.  If I missed any, feel free to chime in.  I do not list ALL the exact areas because they are fragile, and others need to put in work to find them.  I have listed many of them in the article here on the forum http://www.baybass.com/forum/index.php?topic=48.0

Fishing the warm water is NOT always the best option......  I've had 50-100 fish days on the Potomac in the winter with 38-41 degree water temps.  Keep in mind launching at Belle Haven Marina is a GAMBLE due to tide, and running up in NC, or RR below the bridges is VERY risky if you do not know the water very well.  These areas are shallow and you can get stuck in there easily and in the wintertime, you'll be calling for rescue boats come dark.

If you want big fish, stay out of Occoquan tidal this winter.....still waiting for anyone to show me a limit over 17lbs out of there in the winter.  15" bass are not 4lbs... ;)   I'm over the place.....and I've given up enough out there to others. Time to move on. 

If you want BIG fish and few bites, you have Crockett Park, aka Germantown Lake VA, Lake Frederick VA, and Burke Lake VA.  These are your best areas to catch the fish of a lifetime.  Get out of your comfort zone every now the then and challenge yourself to new waters folks, and a WWD is a good way to start because the fish will be more active.  You will improve as an angler by learning new bodies of water.  It will also humble the hell out of you, as I'm been skunked a few times this winter on a few lunker lakes....but it making me a better angler and the learning never stops.  20-30' of water with standing timber and 8' visibility with 41 degree temps.....figuring that out will make you proud.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 09:32:06 PM by Admin »
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

dmn276

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 05:30:48 PM »
Yea Pete the Hot water discharges are good for the kids. Easy catching. Fun...Thats what matters.
Keep Fishin !!

dmn276

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 05:49:57 PM »
Bryan is right if you dont know the river uptown dont run it unless your with someone who does. Occoquan river has a ton of big fish in it, but it gets pounded. Fishing the lakes once again I agree with Bryan, will give you a huge challenge Occoquan is a freeking cake walk and for that matter the whole Potomac is a cake walk compared to any lake right now. If you think your hotter then a fire cracker..I have a lake for you to fish we will see how good you are. Bryan is correct G town...Burke.. and the other lake he mentioned have giants swimming around. And they fish easier then the lake I am speaking of. So yea get out of your comfort zone and fish lakes everyone if you want to become a better fisherman. The Potomac is fun but much easier to catch fish out of. The electronics people have now and the way fish concentrate in Occoquan the fish have no chance its been that way forever. Its a cakewalk....Be Safe on the water...Dennis
Keep Fishin !!