Author Topic: Reel anti-reverse question  (Read 126 times)

oubassman

Reel anti-reverse question
« on: February 10, 2019, 10:00:36 PM »
I noticed an issue with my Okuma spinning reel while out today.  I was snagged up and went to pop the line to try and unsnag it when the reel started spinning backward.  The anti-reverse was engaged but the reel was still spinning backwards.
Just thought I would get any ideas before sending it out to Dominion for repair.  I hadmve Diawa reels from a buy one get one sale over winter but not opposed to fixing this one if not too much

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
Re: Reel anti-reverse question
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 02:52:15 PM »
I've seen this too with them, but the less expensive models.  My RTX30s reels did not have this issue.  Which reel is this?  I've got some to take to get cleaned also.  Have you used Dominion before?

Call Okuma directly on this......they should pay for your fix.  I wouldn't bother sending it to them, but this seems to be a common issue with some of their reels and therefore a factory defect/manufacturing flaw.  They should just send you a new one.  Take a video of the problem and send it to them and tell them to send you another reel, while you pay for yours to be fixed.  Should be a cheap fix, no more than $20.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 02:54:33 PM by Admin »
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

oubassman

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 08:10:35 PM »
Thanks Brian, it's an Okuma Avenger AV 30b, definitely not one of the most expensive ones. Maybe $40.

I have used Dominion before and I will give them a call to get an idea of cost to fix. I will also contact Okuma directly and see what they say

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 08:55:07 PM »
Hi Okuma,

It seems as though your spinning reels have a design flaw which allows their anti-reverse mechanism to not function properly.  Was this a particular batch of your reels, or is this limited to a specific model?  Has the issue been addressed/fixed?  My Avenger AV30b has this issue.  What would you like me to do with the reel?  Please see attached video of the issue. 

Please Advise,

Your loyal yet concerned customer,

————
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

oubassman

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 10:38:54 PM »
I like it!!  Will keep u posted!

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 07:56:06 AM »
Please let me know how they handle the issue.  I will be more than happy to get involved if you do not like the answer.  They owe you a new reel, and I'd request a RTX30S.  This is a design flaw.....not a maintenance issue and if they tell you any differently let me know.

-Bryan