Author Topic: South Fork Shenandoah report  (Read 83 times)

oubassman

South Fork Shenandoah report
« on: March 17, 2019, 09:35:56 PM »
I actually got to spend 2 days in a row on the water, so it was smallmouth time on Saturday.  A friend and I decided to brave the forecasted high wind gusts and still slightly higher water to do a kayak float on South Fork from Bentonville to Gooney Run.   

River was about half a foot high and moving a little faster than usual, a little pushy but safe for a kayak. And with the 20mph or so wind gusts we knew it was going to be tough but had confidence the smallies would be hungry with rivers dropping back down.

To make a long story short, they were in predictable positions and hungry. We couldn't anchor up alot, but with ducking into shoreline eddies, anchoring up on few ledge rocks to hit the holes and quick, single casts to other ledge holes and Eddy areas we caught some chunky smallies all 12-16". Every fish was caught on smaller swimbaits with pretty good hits.

I got 6 or 7 with a bonus largemouth and buddy got 4 or 5.  I did lose a couple of other ones, with one about 17" that broke line after it rubbed on some rocks.  Fish were out their winter holes and water temps were 50 according to a guy in a jet boat we floated by.  It was a good time on the water with a friend!

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
Re: South Fork Shenandoah report
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 11:29:24 AM »
GREAT report!
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

petersarnold

• Bam!
Re: South Fork Shenandoah report
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 06:35:58 PM »
That sounds like a great day.  Thanks for sharing.

Tight Lines

Pete