Author Topic: Lake Audubon Reston/Reston Lakes Overview (picture fest!)  (Read 15945 times)

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
Lake Audubon Reston/Reston Lakes Overview (picture fest!)
« on: November 03, 2013, 06:50:00 PM »
I'd like to see some pics of some Reston Hawgs.....If you've got some pics of some Reston Lakes hawgs...post them below with whatever you want to say about the Reston Lakes.

Lots of action today for Dennis and I, but no pigs.....we caught over 15, but most were 10-14", with the largest fish coming on a 1/2oz green pumpkin jig Dennis pitched to an overhanging tree on the west bank mid lake.  The majority of our fish came on rattletraps, crankbaits, and spinnerbaits in 5-10'.  Water temps were 57-60, and the barometric pressure was super high, as were the winds which were blowing out of the north at 15-20mph.  We fished just a half day so Dennis could get home to watch the Redskins win.

We also met Tom and Nico who live on the lake.  Nico is a younger kid in Elementary school, but he's a future bass fishing star.  Nico was using the spinning rod really well, with a senco which happened to be the same special color both Dennis and our buddy Marty throw on these lakes.  His father Tom was a pleasure to meet and was already familiar with BayBass.com. 

These lakes have another 2 to 4 weeks until they really turn on.  Mid November through late December is when we get the really big fish, and lots of them until the pre-spawn period between late Feb through mid April when we unload on the pigs again.  This spring and summer there was one fish I caught pushing 10lbs, but I had no scale,  (1) seven and 1/2lb bass caught, (5) six pounders caught, and (6) five pounders caught between Dennis, myself, and Tibor, who caught the 7.5lber at Audubon.  All of these fish were caught on the Reston Lakes.  A few of the fish mentioned above were caught at Anne in Reston, and one on Thoreau.  Thoreau has the best bass population, with Audubon coming in second, followed by Anne, and then Newport.  If you want to catch a bass over 5lbs, from now through March, I'd highly suggest Anne Dam off Whelie Ave, Lake Newport Dam off Baron Cameron Parkway, and Lake Audubon Dam located at "Lake Audubon Pool."(I forget the road name)  I'm talking shore fishing, no special permit needed, all public property....if you can get a kayak or small jon boat in the water then more power to you....(and you must live in Reston and get the sticker...or be a guest of someone on the lake to have something that floats on these lakes)  These areas turn on BIG TIME when it's windy, especially when the wind is blowing downlake.  During the winter we catch big fish every year throwing huge spinnerbaits 3/4 to 1oz in these areas as well as rattletraps.  Don't think that a bass won't chase down a spinnerbait in 40 degree water.  Were slow-rolling them and pumping them in 7-20' from shore bundled up wearing ski-masks and 2 winter coats half the time.  See the VA waters photo gallery on baybass.com and you'll recognize these areas with the rock rip rap.  The pic here is Tibor with one close to 6lb caught on a buzzbait at 9pm at the Anne Dam just a week or so ago.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 09:24:38 PM by Admin »
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

Bongos

Re: Lake Audubon Reston/Reston Lakes Overview (picture fest!)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 09:02:39 AM »
Thanks for the report.  I live less than a mile from Lake Audubon.  So this makes me very excited.  I'll pick up a few more lures and give it a shot.  Now with the time change I'll only be able to go out on the weekends.  Thanks again.

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 09:50:27 AM »
Thanks Bongos.  Glad this helps you out.  Also, if your interested in the crappie, the dam area in the winter times also stacks up with BIG crappie around the spillway.  They'll suspend down about 8-10' over top of 20-25'.  The "float and jig" is the best system to use.  Heavy casting foam with the lead inside bobbers with 8-10lb mono or copolymer leader with 5-8' of line until your crappie jig is tied on.  I like a 1/16oz or 1/32oz small jig head with a little .5" tube bait or grub, or just a "trout magnet" lure.  Light line is a must.  I use the 6lb P-Line CXX moss green or the P-Line original 8lb in deep blue color with a 6'6" medium light spinning rod.  Those crappie have paper thin mouths, so a stiff rod or big hookset will tear their mouth apart, and they'll get off.

Due to the leader length, a "bobber stop" is highly recommended so your not casting 5'-8' worth of leader which is not easy, unless your using a 10' rod.  The bass will often be below the crappie.  Our fish finders light up like a christmas tree in the colder months when floating near these dams.  A plain ol' bottom rig nightcrawler or live minnow will also do the job big time.
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 12:36:22 PM »
Here are a few pics of mine from Anne and Audubon from the last 14 months or so....more coming

Pics from top to bottom, Lake Anne Plaza, Lake Anne Dam, Lake Audubon in boat, Lake Anne Dam  More big girls coming
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 01:05:26 PM by Admin »

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 12:46:49 PM »
Here are some more of my pics....notice how bundled up I am in some of these pics.  Top to bottom

Lake Anne Plaza late fall (Nov I think jig)

Lake Anne Dam last December SB

Newport Dam Jan I think (suspending Jerk Bait)

Audubon boat just two weeks ago 6lb crankin' a bomber 7A in a main lake channel in 7-12'
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 12:50:23 PM by Admin »

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 01:12:07 PM »
Here are some more.....Dennis has about 10 really good ones coming, some VA citations (8lbs or over 22" is a citation).  I need to get some of that citation paperwork filled out for some of these....(2) of them

From top to bottom

8lb 8oz (2nd largest bass I've ever caught period out of Anne in 1995 at 15yrs old in April. Weighed on two digital scales, and witnessed by Kevin Rowland Jr & Sr, Christian Taylor, and two Normark Digitals, and measured at 22.75".  This same day I witnessed two other large females which easily weighed 3-4lbs heavier.  They were literally like carp with lateral lines and they were cruising bedding areas and looking for a big ol' buck.

Lake Newport Dam on buzzbait 4.25lbs 2010

Lake Anne Dam Jan. 2011  5lbs

Lake Newport Dam 2011 .....5lbs spinnerbait
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 02:33:59 AM by Admin »

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 01:20:46 PM »
This is the largest bass I've ever caught on any of these lakes or rivers in my life out of Audubon.  It was pre spawn, caught next to a pontoon boat midlake on a SPRO hollow belly with David Castleman at the netter.  The only scale we had was a pull down scale I had from 1990, all rusted out and worthless.  On that scale it was at 7lbs.....knowing the reading was not right, (way under) I took the scale home and placed a 10lb dumbbell on the same scale.  It still came up at 7lbs....this fish is every bit of 10lbs IMO, and the largest to date.  Caught in 2010 or 2011 I believe.  I'm done for now...Now it's Dennis turn, Tibor and David C have some hawgs to post as does Justin S, and I few others I know of.  (the limit for posting pics is now 10)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 02:35:26 AM by Admin »

Hank

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 12:50:51 PM »
I started fishing Lake Anne this summer, and had good success when able to rent the boats, but I have not had as much success when fishing from shore.  I just wanted to ask if you guys had much success in the inlet where the boats are rented, around the restaurants and shops.  I lost a very, very large fish this summer right at the top side in front of the fountain when fishing at night with a spinnerbait.......as I took too much time trying to figure out how I was going to get him on the dock.  Also, have you guys caught nice bass up and down the whole damn area off of Wiehle, or is there a specific spot here where the bass stack up?  Does the water drop off quickly in this areas?

Thanks and Good Fishing   

dmn276

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 01:30:13 PM »
Hello Hank my name is Dennis Nease I am on the staff with BayBass. Sir to answer your questions REF : Lake Ann plaza area and down lake at the dam both these areas hold fish. The plaza area along the concrete retaining walls up under thedocks right their at the plaza and all along the boardwalk are good holding areas . You can cast out into open water and fish a 1/2 oz trap jerkbaits and spinnerbaits. Also a mini carolina rig with some sort of plastic tied to it, or texas rigged plastics into the open water. If that doesnt work start fishing close quarters under the docks and along that board walk. Just parallel your baits to the boardwalk. REF : The dam area ( WIND) is the key the same type baits Sir. Parallel the rip rap their. With 1/2 oz rattletraps spinnerbaits, jerkbaits. Hank have patience buddy keep fishin it soon you will bust some nice fish. Hope this has helped a little. Tightlines !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dennis Nease BayBass Pro staff.
Keep Fishin !!

Hank

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 02:11:11 PM »
Hey Dennis, your response is much appreciated.  I have tried fishing right under the docks in the plaza area, but the areas seem pretty shallow, so I wasn't sure they held fish.  Glad to know they do hold fish, so I will continue working them.  Have you had much success with crankbaits or plastics like Yum money minnows on the dam side?  You guys talk mostly about spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, or rattletraps, so I was just curious if you have had much success with crankbaits down deep.

Hank 

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 03:06:04 PM »
Hank, as far as deep crankin from a boat, it can be a great pattern in the early spring and summer months, winter as well, but we find the silverbuddies and jigging spoons as well as the big spinnerbaits andm jigs to produce better.  There are some humps out there and some stump fields that hold fish along the east side of the lake in 7-14' year round.  During the winter months the dam turns on BIG time especially in the brush piles which are located straight out from the first bench after you park on the road off Whelie ave.  There is one particular bench, (the first one you come to walking down the path)  Between this bench and the cove closest to the street parking there is a brush pile the size of a school bus.  We've lost hundreds and hundreds of dollars in it. 

Hank...This dam area is the deepest water in the lake, and to answer your question, yes it does drop down VERY quickly to 15' just 15' out off the rocks and then to 20-25 by 40' out.... and loads up with big bass in the winter months.  The plaza is hit or miss, but lots of nice jig fish come off the retaining walls and along the dock until December when they begin to move down lake towards the dam.  You can launch a small hand carry boat or yak at the dam or plaza as long as you register it with Reston Association. (live in Reston)....for a fee maybe they'll still give you a sticker.....not too sure....?

The flat where the fountain is has a channel running along it on its east side (closest to the tall concrete walls). If your on the end of the dock looking out at the fountain, the channel runs on the left of the fountain about 7' deep.  Plenty of pics of nice bass caught here on the baybass main site under VA waters.  If the pics don't scroll, use google chrome for viewing the photo galleries on baybass.  If you follow the trail around the plaze to the right of the fountain it takes you back into a creek with a small walk bridge....this creek loads up with bass after a hard rain and at night as well. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 09:31:36 PM by Admin »

tf115

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 06:43:20 PM »
hi guys its Tibor.here is some of the bass i got at the reston lakes.Now is the time to get some big fish,u just have to put up with the colder temperatures.my favorite ways to catch them this time of year is slow rolling spinnerbaits in 5-15 foot of water unless the water is muddy then i fish right against the shore even in the midle of winter  and trust me you can get them in the winter ,usually the more windy and nasty outside the better the bite gets.the other good way to get them to throw lipless crankbaits and jerkbaits when the water is clear and still. Good luck guys go get them.

dmn276

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 08:25:54 PM »
Hey folks, it's Dennis here with some hawg pictures to add to this Reston hawg festival! Many of them do come in the winter months thats for sure.

Most of these pics here are from Audubon and Throeau. I've been fishing them for over 40+ years, and the winter is one of the best times to catch the big ones.  I like a big jig and a spinnerbait in the winter. 

-Dennis
BayBass.com Pro-Staff
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 08:33:28 PM by dmn276 »
Keep Fishin !!

Yi

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 11:28:32 PM »
I believe each and every fish over 3 lbs have been hooked at least one time by you guys ;D

Hank

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 01:14:00 AM »
Thanks for all the specific tips guys.  I grew up trout fishing on a fly rod, then started bass fishing in my local ponds in high school.  I haven't fished much in recent years with all the family responsibilities etc, but I have just really caught the fever again recently.  I have caught both brown and rainbow trout over 10 lbs, brook over 5 lbs, but never a bass in the 5+ range.  Armed with some of the great tips here, I am determined to get one out of Anne this winter.  Especially after losing that one off the fountain in September!  Thanks again, and I really enjoy the site.