Author Topic: Pimp my Boat? Bryan's Ranger Get's a Makeover for 2016  (Read 21565 times)

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
Pimp my Boat? Bryan's Ranger Get's a Makeover for 2016
« on: February 28, 2016, 10:38:17 PM »
There was a show out a while ago called "Pimp my Ride" where an unsuspecting person gets their dream of having their car all re-done and glamorized with crazy paint and interior.  Well I thought it was time my old girl the Burgundy Beauty got herself done up so this year, she's going to get a makeover and the parts are being delivered as I type.  There are many pages of info here, and you'll find the info to be VERY VERY helpful and useful if you plan on doing some "pimping" to your boat as well.

;) For starters, I bought another lower unit, in ERROR, and the mistake cost me $1,300.  Keep reading, I'll explain how this happened, and you'll learn more about my screw-ups throughout this process.

:)I'm a firm believer in listening to music when fishing, especially when your power fishing.  If you’re not in an aluminum boat with the radio on the bottom of the hull, you'll be fine. I previously worried about music but found out when playing it low, it does not bother the fish one bit and it REALY does help with my concentration and mood when staying on a certain pattern at times.  Plus it's fun to listen to death metal at 65mph over 1' chop upwind. j/k. But for these reasons I bought a Kenwood marine sterio and speaker combination from Best Buy online. It was $161.11 shipped (Kenwood CD Built in Bluetooth Apple IPod and Satellite Ratio Ready Marine In Dash with speakers)  I'll now be adding a subwoofer sometime...amp a must.... ;)  this combo is $161 with a 10" Kenwood subwoofer and 200w amp.  I may just pull the trigger now, but I was hoping for a bass tube to fitting reasons.  Update- installed sterio, next is amp and sub in box

:)I'm sick of screwing lights in just for the first 30 min of fishing in the early am.  For this reason I bought a waterproof LED Red/Green/White/ light stripping for the NAVIGATION lights up front on my Ranger's Bow both Port (left) and Starboard (right).  Each is 12". These were $12.99. Now I just press a button.  I get to say good bye to the 11 different light pole assemblies I've hoarded over the past 6/7 boats of mine.

:) I hate not being able to see in the dark and early in the am when first launching the boat.  Tying knots in the dark sucks, as does finding the right rod out of the 12 on the deck.  For this reason I bought EIGHT 19" inch white LED boat compartment waterproof strips for the Rangers compartments both front and rear.  This 12V kit was $44.96 shipped on Ebay. 

:)For deck lighting I've purchased 12 LED blue lights to light up my deck VERY well at night. 

;) new cranking battery - installed

;) trailer inspection / full service/ hubs/ bearings/tires/breaks....and new inspection. done

:) The Ranger did not come with a jackplate so I'm finally going to slap one on.  The Slidemaster 6" Manual was my final choice and it will be in route this week.  Price is around $300.  Update- installed

:) The Rangers rear pedestal will not come out.....it's stuck in there for life....The guys and I are going to have to try to literally jack the thing out using two auto/floor jacks on each side......crazy....  update- got it out with a big pipe wrench.

:) Over the winter I purchased two new props for the boat...a 24 Fury and a 25 Trophy Plus.  Both were $450 total, which was a steal.  I think I still need the hub kit for the 24 Fury which I have to track down.  Maybe Sanderson Marine would have one, they mess with a ton of Mercs.  I'll have to call.  Update- Trophy plus runs beautiful

:) it's time to upgrade the steering to hydraulic.  So, the kits are around $1200.  This will be done at the same time as the jackplate.  Gotta pull the trigger on this in a week or so. update-Installed

I'm probably forgetting some but this is the to-do list for the next few weeks. I may be hopping in others boats for a few trips while this is all being done. 

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 01:54:55 PM by Admin »
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
Re: Pimp my Boat? Bryan's Ranger Get's a Makeover for 2016
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 12:33:32 PM »
Slidemaster jack plate ordered this morning.  $294 plus shipping to be charged when it leaves the factory.  10-15 day wait time for manufacturing.  6" Manual with mount kit.  ;)
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

oubassman

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 02:03:29 PM »
Wow, you're boat is going to be SLICK when it's made over!

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 09:50:04 PM »
I also just bought 2 blue underwater lights (not pictured) from TH marine that are bright as the sun for mounting on the transom on each side of jackplate.  Night fishing at it's finest, plus it's surely cool lookin.   I got them off Ebay for $75 I think shipped. 

Just wait till I go chumming with 50 lbs of Chesapeakes finest Bay Chum in Burke Lake on a cool summer night with a light wind.  Payback time for all the days spent feeling like a loser out there. Lol
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 02:35:46 PM by Admin »

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 10:08:54 PM »
Pics.  Before

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 11:39:29 PM »
Arrived today....going to be a busy Sunday....knock on wood.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 03:41:20 PM by Admin »

Kris

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 09:51:53 AM »
Wow Bryan.  Boat is already really nice and with the improvements will be SENSATIONAL!
So much water, so many fish, so little time.

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 02:37:36 PM »
Thanks Kris, you know as well as I do, that if your going to invest in an older bass boat, Ranger is surely a brand worth putting money into.

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 07:49:30 AM »
My LED strips came.  Here is red, green and white (NAV), and the eight strips for the white deck lighting as seen in the pic far above with the boat with deck lights.

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 09:32:20 PM »
The lower unit was installed today.  Took 4 hours, due to issues with getting the gear cable in place.  I can see how it could be a pretty simple 1hr job for a highly skilled mechanic and helper at times who's familiar with the routine.  We tested the motor after with the muffs on a hose and all was good.  A big thanks to Tibor for helping me as I would have not been able to do this myself.  We also installed my new Mercury Trophy 25p prop.  I'll be testing this one against another I bought once the jackplate is on.  I'll have to buy a few packs of vent plugs for each prop for fine tuning.

We went over placement for LED deck lights, LED navigation lights, sterio placement, and speaker plavement.  Underwater blue LED's may get added at the same time as the jackplate.  The hydraulic steering is going to be a MAJOR expense.....and this is just as much if not MORE than my new (reconditioned/rebuilt) lower unit.

The installation of the jack plate and motor set up must be done at the same time as the hydraulic steerling and therefore I've got to wait a bit. I'll be shopping around also.

Here are some pics from today.

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 03:21:43 PM »
This week is sterio and deck lights!  Next month is jackplate and hydraulic steering. ;)

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 08:36:15 AM »
Slidemaster 6" plate arrived yesterday....With the mounting hardware.  Damn these things are heavy!

fishnkmp

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 06:56:51 PM »
They need to be heavy duty, just think of the stress the transom, jack plate. engine mount takes when you are running thru rough water.  I have a friend that has fished the upper Northeast/flatts area all of his adult life ( he is of retirement age) so he knows the water.  He hit a stump and his Bob's Machine jackplate broke and the engine landed inside the boat killing his rider. Sorta makes you stop and think!!!!  Also makes you check that hardware a little more often huh!

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2016, 05:05:40 PM »
Yep, sure do need to be heavy duty and from a legit manufacturer.  Slidemaster is the brand RANGER sells also if you call the factory looking for a plate..

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 07:30:50 PM »
Speaker install done.  :)