Author Topic: Pimp my Boat? Bryan's Ranger Get's a Makeover for 2016  (Read 20554 times)

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
Re: Pimp my Boat? Bryan's Ranger Get's a Makeover for 2016
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2016, 09:48:54 PM »
Today I ordered a 10" Kenwood Subwoofer and 200W Kenwood AMP off Amazon. 

Arriving Mar 24 - Apr 7 

Track package

Kenwood P-WD250MRW 10-Inch Marine Subwoofer and Amplifier Package 

Sold by:  redonedeal   

$117.99 

Condition: New -   brand new in original retail box.It will be shipped out in with free ship insurance , 48 states only
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

petersarnold

• Bam!
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2016, 06:54:04 PM »
Looking real good!  Time to pimp my yak!   8)

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 10:38:53 PM »
Thanks Peter.

By the way this is KENWOOD MARINE stuff, not regular.  I'm sure with this stuff being wet a lot from spray, rain and such, it has to be build slightly differently than the regular automotive stuff.
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 11:04:17 AM »
So I decided to put the LED strip lighting inside the compartments and I purchased these new LED lights for the deck front and rear and console areas.  Currently waiting on these and subwoofer and amp to install this weekend.   Still shopping around for pricing on the hydraulic steering.

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2016, 08:57:51 PM »
Hydraulic steering ordering this week, best pricing found on Ebay for $840.00.  This is a serious upgrade in performance driving and combined with the new 6" slidemaster jackplate and both new props, this rig is going to come to life around 6-7 mph quicker with much better handling and steering when trying to avoid objects at speed, or on plane back in shallow twisty creeks.  Rough water handling will also increase noticeably well.

Lighting (deck) arrived (16 total 4" Blue LED encapsulated hard plastic/ waterproof ).  Gonna light up like a space ship.  Lmao

Subwoofer and amp by Kenwood arrived today.

Today, 3/26, Tibor and I dropped the lower unit and adjusted it some (shift cable piece is a PITA) 

We also installed the head unit, and ran the wires to battery, speakers, and through THREE compartments.  Total PITA....took us 6 hours straight just for the headunit, speaker wiring, and power wiring, + all the flush hidden Pro wiring job we did so you don't see all the damn wires running all over the place. 

« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 10:13:47 PM by Admin »

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2016, 04:58:00 PM »
Two buddies helped me remove the old steering cables, and attempt to install a 6" slidemaster jackplate.  The hydraulic steering kit will be in route this week purchased off Ebay for $850.

The jackplate was no easy task.  It took 5 hours with three of us including totally removing the steering cables.  Harbin Marine ended up re-installing the Jackplate.  I should have just let them do it in the first place.   
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 01:39:02 PM by Admin »

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2016, 04:48:47 PM »
Sea Star Teleflex Hydraulic Steering Kit has been ordered.

Cost- $899.95

This rig is almost done!!!! 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 10:25:30 PM by Admin »

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2016, 10:39:27 PM »
All of this is also very beneficial to know as a used boat buyer, these things are soooo important.  If the steering in the 1990 Ranger your looking at, has been switched over to hydraulic recently, that's a $900 + a min of $200 for labor upgrade....so if the guy is asking a little bit much, it's so that you don't have to spend the money later on fixing it. 

Hydraulic Steering- $1100 installed
Sound System- custom boxes and installations ($2k when done) (speakers, amp, sterio/CD, subwoofer, sub box and headunit box and charging port, remote, and switches)
Lighting- $400 installed  (all compartments, full front and rear deck, console, glovebox, livewells, NAV, underwater LED's)
Jackplate- $500 installed
Trailer- $1,000 installed.Full Service/Bearings, Hubs, Bunks, Breaks, Tires-  (it's a dual axle......)
New Lower Unit- $1500 Installed- I still have the old one.....I didn't hit anything....just bought it by accident, I'll explain down a page or two.
Props- $500 for both, so now I have a main and 2 spares.

So this Ranger was purchased for $9,750 including all the Sonar (2 HDS7 Gen2's) with Structure Scan and Side Scan, and I've since put in $5,000 in just the past month.  So, with taxes, titling, and all the Pimping this boat has undergone, I'm in it $15,500.......I'm not planning on ever selling this boat.  I would never recommend doing this unless you're SURE you're keeping the boat till death or destruction.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 01:41:12 PM by Admin »

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2016, 12:37:49 PM »
In the mail today! 

fishnkmp

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2016, 03:26:09 PM »
You may have 15,000 in it but to get a new boat setup that way you would have three or four times that!!!  :o

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2016, 09:19:11 PM »
Lol.  Soooo true.  A new 19' Ranger with a 200 Merc is 45-58k I think, depending on options.  And even those don't come with subwoofers and amps and enough LED's to get a rave going in the middle of Frogmorter creek Friday night.   8)

Note: As some of us know, the mouth of frogmorter, is definately NOT the place to party at night. Lmao.

Speaking of which.....for the summer with family and or friends....
I recommend Hart Miller islands north westerly shoreline (beaches) and on the Potomac, just inside Belmont Bay's main river point.  (Coming from up north, it would be your first big point on the right.  Cut it WIDE!!!! , and keep it on plane.  Shallow sandy swimming area with boats tied up often.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 10:27:08 AM by Admin »

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2016, 02:36:31 PM »
Steering is a total pain the the ass, not for the average guy like me to install.  I threw in the towell...

I wasted my entire weekend trying to do this bs with a friend to save money.  Well, sometimes the truth hurts, and me being cheap and cutting corners not taking it to a professional just bit me in my ass. 

Screw this.....

Anyone who says this can be done in 90 min is full of crap.  The helm involves cutting out the steering area to fit it.....getting the bracket onto the motor took 5 hours....there is NO space to do it......

Now I'm left with a bag of parts and a box with all the crap thrown back in... $900 in crap that is. 

Now I'll be taking it to a professional and paying them "professional" $$ to fix the mess I just did......words don't even describe how I'm feeling, but hey, I tried. lol 

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 09:27:53 PM by Admin »

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2016, 09:21:45 AM »
Tires arrived via FedEx, and are now mounted and balanced.  Trailer inspection is due in a week, and trailer work should be completed by then.  I did a ton of research on the trailer tires taking 3 days to make a final decision.  Be sure to read ALL of the reviews, as many top trailer tires have had issues. 

These from Costco and Sam's Club were the best ones available for the money I wanted to spend on FIVE tires.

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2016, 01:30:04 PM »
Trailer work wrapped up this week, then it is off to the professionals at Potomac Marine to complete what I tried to start with the steering.  I'd love to watch and learn what I couldn't do.  Lighting being wrapped up this weekend.

LargemouthAss

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2016, 12:22:59 PM »
Nice work! Do you have a separate battery for the stereo? If not I would be worried that the starting battery or TM batteries would be run down by the stereo so I would be reluctant to use it, especially with the subwoofer. I have been stuck on the water and needed a jump a time or two in my day so I am VERY careful with my batteries now.