Author Topic: Pimp my Boat? Bryan's Ranger Get's a Makeover for 2016  (Read 21519 times)

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
Re: Pimp my Boat? Bryan's Ranger Get's a Makeover for 2016
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2016, 02:15:25 PM »
Excellent question.  I've got the stereo wired into my cigarette lighter (which still works after all these years..lol) and that is pulling power only from the cranking battery.  As long as I'm not pumping the stereo system with subwoofer on for extended periods of time, I should have 0 problems, just like a car with a basic sound system, sub, and 200W amp.   I'd plan on using the sterio while fishing for sure, but more than likely I'd have the subwoofer turned off while fishing to avoid spooking fish, not to mention the power draw down.  When I'm running or cruising through 6 mph zones on a weekend with people out I may fire it up a little and blast some tunes.   

I've had to jump my own boats maybe a handful of times, and I'd estimate I've jumped 30 or 40 others boats over the years.  Most often, the culprit to a fishing trip ended before it ever started, is a dead battery, or the fact that your trying to start the motor with the dead man/kill switch detached. lol

A spare battery always kept in the truck along with a can of Ether (starting spray), and new spark plugs, can fix the majority of stranded boaters at the launch ramp.   

Now, IF I were to drain the crankin' battery down, I've got a set of jumper cables as a permanent fixture under my back compartment, and all I would have to do is jump off the 2 remaining batteries, both deep cycle trolling batteries easily capable of jumping the engine.  Once the motor fires up, I'd let run for 2 minutes, unhook, and get the party started again.   8)   This whole process should take less than 4 minutes on the water. 

Pointer for other boaters new to this stuff,

If someone were to be in this position without a set of jumper cables, or the switchover device recommended above, the cranking battery should be disconnected, and swapped out with the TM battery, and then the motor should be started as normal.  Once the motor starts up, give it a good 1,000 rpms for a minute or two, and let the motor run while you unhook the TM battery you used  to jump and swap it back out with your dead crankin' battery.  The motor will stay running through this process, and the crankin' battery will charge back up quickly if it's only reason for being dead was a drain of power, and not the fact that the battery is actually bad, or needs some distilled water added.

I'll be trying to get away with just this battery, but just incase I've got room for another battery tray both in the rear compartment, as well as inside the factory extended deck compartment which would distribute the added weight better.  I'll definitely keep you updated as to whether or not the battery can handle it all.  I'm crossing my fingers.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:47:53 PM by Admin »
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

petersarnold

• Bam!
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2016, 07:20:51 AM »
Must feel good to pimp it out!  Buddy of mine gave me an old 12 ft jon boat.  Cleaning it up for some fishing!

LargemouthAss

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2016, 11:33:26 AM »
I have one of these on my boat so I can switch to TM batteries to start the engine in a pinch:

With 2 big Lowrance HDS units, a power pole, bilge and livewell pumps you can wear down a starting battery pretty easily if you are not making a lot of runs.

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2016, 01:02:30 PM »
VERY good idea.  I'm going to have to add that to the list!
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

fishnkmp

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2016, 06:24:03 PM »
When you get your boat fully PIMPED out you better reprop your boat for the added weight!!LOL

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2016, 07:14:25 PM »
HAHA. The stereo, custom built box for the subwoofer, 10" sub, and 200W amp only weighed 24.5 lbs.  The lighting less than 1.5lb.  Boat is getting dropped off tomorrow to the mechanics at Potomac Marine to finish the job I couldn't. 

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 11:26:04 PM by Admin »

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2016, 08:50:55 PM »
She's back in action and behind my truck now!

Feels good to have her back.    ;D

Hydraulic steerling and jack plate now 100%. Only the lights remain... :-\

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2016, 03:27:29 PM »
I got her back!!!!!!

The SeaStar Hydraulic Steering is amazing.  It's like driving my Toyota Truck, turn with a finger.  Dodging logs is super easy and if you run the Potomac, you're doing that all day 50% of the trips.

Video of my son driving her today. https://youtu.be/scF-nWIpu-8
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 10:44:21 PM by Admin »

LargemouthAss

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2016, 12:30:25 PM »
Looks great!!!

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2016, 03:00:54 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.  "She" really appreciates it.

I've learned a lot through this process. 

1.  NEVER EVER trust someone to diagnose a motor issue without actually looking at it.  You had read prior that I purchased a lower unit due to the gears being worn out in my old lower unit.  After replacing the lower unit, the problem persisted.    Actually, the issue was a control box/throttle cable which took a certified outboard mechanic just 20 minutes to fix.  So,,,,,,now I have a spare lower unit.  Cost of my error.  $1,300. On the bright side, I have a spare lower unit or I'll sell this old one for $600.

2.  NEVER EVER try to save money by having a friend help you do work to your boat, especially if you are leading the endeavor and don't know too much about what your installing. (I had never installed any of this stuff before on any boat) .  Unless he works as a tech at a local marina and has all his tools with him, you're going to be in for a big pain in the ass, and maybe worse if you break stuff by accident. For example, I took apart a "part" of the steering's hydraulic cylinder mount which has two pieces which were pressed into the bracket via machine press.  When I took the big box of steering crap back to the shop for them to install professionally, they said I should have NEVER taken that apart and I'd now have to order another (just the cylindee).....  (The other option was to mail it all back to SeaStar and see if they could machine it back together).  I chose the quick simple route and I spent the $500 for another complete hydraulic cylinder, and i had the boat ready Fri night of Memorial Day Weekend.  SMDH,........now I've got a spare hydraulic cylinder which is unusable until I send it back to SeaStar.  Cost of my error.  $500 + 3 days of time and 1 full tank of truck gas. 
 :'(

The 25 pitch Tempist prop ran amazingly well and provided more bow lift and slightly better speed.  Handling was great, but I noticed the Trophy prop did "grab" slightly better.  My hole shot was GREAT and I noticed no difference between the 3 and 4 blade on takeoff.

The Fury 24P is supposed to run slightly faster, and act like many 25P's so it will be interesting to see tomorrow (wed) how this prop acts on the water.  As long as I'm turning 6,000 RPMs which is my max, I should be running 65-68mph.  Top speed is not my concern, but I do like to run it close to wide open over a 1' chop which this hull handles amazingly well.  I'll get back on here tomorrow and let everyone know how the Fury acts.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 10:40:17 PM by Admin »

fishnkmp

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2016, 08:23:59 PM »
Hey Bryan the steering components you "disassembled" can you post a picture?  If all they need to go back together is to be pressed together I can probably do it at work.  We are after all a machine shop.
Post a pic and explain how you took them apart.

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2016, 10:31:26 PM »
Thanks Bob.  So, I disassembled the cylinder and the mount/bracket which you can see in this pic (it's the black V shaped bracket which mounts at the single point under the motors cap up underneath of it in a very awkward spot.  Of course in this below pic you can only see the mounting brackets right arm.

This single Bolt was such a PITA to get it with that heavy awkward cylinder, that I took the cylinder off its bracket by popping the pressed pieces out with a hammer and screwdriver.  Well, the bracket was on in 1 try after I removed the two.  Then, I realized they wouldn't go back together the way they came apart, and several good mechanics shrugged their shoulders at it so to avoid a month long fiasco trying to put it back together....(by the way I lost one of the pressed pieces also), I bit the bullet, called myself a moron along with other names I can't type, and dropped  $500 bones for another cylinder as they are actually sold seperately.  Of course this happens to be the most expensive part of the entire Sea Star Hydraulic Steering Kit, and after having the damn thing rush shipped it was $500 delivered. 

I learned my lesson.  Lol.   No more "saving money" by trying to do it with buddies.  I'm far from "mechanical" .  I'm great at taking things apart though.   8)

Bob. I may just mail this stuff out to you when I get all the parts. I have all but one little piece I'll try to get from Sea Star.....IF they sell just the little pressed piece

fishnkmp

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2016, 04:20:11 AM »
You wont need to mail them out, I am sure you will be up to drop off or pick up some rods from Tom LOL. By the way Tom did such an awesome job om my G loomis IMX SJR721 I am having him redo my G Loomis SJR 722 GL3 rod.  I love the Winn grips and the American Tackle comfort grip.  I also am going to have him make Linda a 7 to 7'2" foot spinning rod to throw frogs, toads, and the Live target sunfish, Linda just does not throw a baitcaster and I have not found anything I like enough unless I go to a top line G Loomis which just does not fit in my budget.  After that I may have him build her a rod to throw big jigs on ledges as we are thinking of going to Lake Chicamagua next spring.  A six foot medium light won't cut it out there.

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2016, 04:03:44 PM »
Sweet Bob, actually I have 11 rods in the garage that need to go to Tom.  All need repairs such as guides, reel seats, and more.  He's about to be SWAMPED. lol

So today, the 24P FURY turned 6,200 RPM's opened up WIDE open at 63 mph.  What this means is that the prop is turning too high of an RPM for my motor/boat set-up.  A 25P Fury would be a much better choice.  I'd suggest this 24P is probably a beast on the 17 to 19' hulls with motors up to 175hp.  My 200 Xri will run better with the 25P Trophy (4 blade for handling) or 25P Tempist (3 blade for more top end and overall good handling).  But, it won't grab the rough water like the 4 blade will. 

What this means is that my FURY is FOR SALE!!!  24P Fury.  Cheapest price I can find  is $540 shipped on EBAY.   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-Fury-Propeller-24-Pitch-48-8M8023120-New-/181554847045?hash=item2a45831d45:g:escAAOxyHBBSPbGT&vxp=mtr

I will let mine go for $340 so you can save $200.  Mine is practically brand new, not a scratch, never been worked. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 01:35:28 PM by Admin »

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2016, 01:46:19 PM »
UPDATE on my "LOWER UNIT ISSUES".  My old lower unit is PERFECTLY FINE, and in EXCELLENT CONDITION.  I purchased the new one thinking I had destroyed the gears in the one that came with (on) the boat.  So.........the real issue was the control box/throttle cable.  It needed to be adjusted and tested while running.  I was charged $150 and I had the boat back in 3 hours.

So, learn a lesson from me.  Before you ever pre-judge a part as "garbage" or "broken", have a mechanic verify it.  The terrible grinding/knocking sound I was hearing, had nothing to do with my lower unit, so I wasted $1,300 and I don't have that type of money to be throwing around.  Often it's the dumbest little thing.

She's back in action and waiting for some lights, and that's it.  Her 24P Fury will be removed and the 25P Trophy is going back on.  That Trophy with one half drilled out vent plug runs amazing on that hull.

So, about those vent plugs.........let's discuss them.

Problem: Boat is sluggish getting on plane
Solution: By using a large vent and allowing more air through, your engine’s RPM get up to speed faster, and your boat levels off quicker.

With PVS, now you can get Mercury performance, Mercury power and Mercury acceleration – no matter what engine you run.

The Performance Vent System® is an EXCLUSIVE Mercury innovation that allows you to "custom tune" the venting of your propeller blades – giving you the power to adjust your propeller to the way you boat.

The propeller is directly responsible for how your boat reacts in the water. PVS™ allows you to adjust for changes in load and environment simply by changing the propeller’s vent plugs for optimum acceleration.

On acceleration, exhaust is drawn out of the vent hole. When the propeller blade strikes this aerated water, it pushes through it much easier than it would solid water – causing engine rpm to increase more rapidly. Once you’re on plane, the water flows over the vent holes and seals in the exhaust, allowing the propeller to again operate in solid, no aerated water.

Just by varying the size of the exhaust hole and controlling your engine’s rpm, you can eliminate sluggish performance or compensate for changes in load an altitude. And it’s technology that you can only get with Mercury Propellers.

Vent plugs available on Ebay.

Propellers with PVS:
 Maximus
 Laser II
 Trophy Plus
 Tempest Plus
 Mirage Plus
 VenSura
 Revolution 4
 HighFive
 Enertia