Author Topic: On to my next reservoir boat - My Ouachita 16 footer  (Read 10397 times)

Kris

On to my next reservoir boat - My Ouachita 16 footer
« on: July 03, 2016, 09:47:03 PM »
Well, my Grumman 14' V-Jon is sold and will be delivered tomorrow.  I have started back working on the Ouachita 16 footer to start getting it ready to fish.  Lots of work ahead of me but it will be comfortable for two when completed.
My first step is to get it floating so I can see how many leaks I need address in this old riveted, abused old girl.  I started working on the rear section of the floor support today.  As with the Grumman, all the floor support will be Azek, "plastic wood", front to back.  Floor panels will be exterior grade plywood sealed, primered and painted.  Final coat will be a sand included coat with color for traction when wet.  Here is a picture of the rear section completed today:

Next will be completing the rest of the support structure, floor, batteries lights and wiring for trolling motors.  At that point registration and I can drop it in the water to start checking the bottom.  Reservoir stern mount is planned to be a Minn Kota Traxxis 80.  Gasoline power in some local lakes will be a 6 hp outboard.  Tidal duties will of course be the Ranger when I get it done.  Retirement should be good in time.
I have almost completed the trailer rebuild.  New dolly jack and first section of the new winch stand.  Still need to put on the front support for the boat, winch and safety chain.  Also need to design a bow stop for the boat. 

I hope to get this waterworthy soon since I will be without a boat starting tomorrow.  Luckily I belong to an old man's bass club as a non-boater for now.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 06:48:09 AM by Kris »
So much water, so many fish, so little time.

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
Re: On to my next reservoir boat - My Ouachita 16 footer
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 10:11:23 PM »
Wow, you're all full of projects. ;)   Keep us updated on the ol' gal
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

fishnkmp

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 10:19:21 PM »
Poor Ed he retired and has nothing to do ;D

Kris

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 07:26:56 PM »
Today I really didn't have time to do much with the boat since I was asked to deliver the boat I sold.  so I did go out and try to decide how I was going to handle the floor to the bow.  So I am standing there looking and saw that a four inch wide board would not make it all the way to the bow because it would run out of width.  So I am thinking should I go to a six inch wide board?  That would work but be a lot of work to figure out.
Now I am not a professional wood guy but most everything I build out of wood would hold Ringling Bros. Barnum and Bailey Circus.  I had leveled out the boat yesterday so I could determine what I needed to keep the floor level.  So out of curiosity I picked up one of the four inch wide board and put it as far forward as I can.  I then put the other end on top of one rear section stringer.  I thought, Wow that looks pretty good and grabbed the level.  Guess what?  IT"S LEVEL!  This will put my front deck up four inches higher than the rear deck.  It will also give me the room to put in a foot pedal tray for the trolling motor. 
Now I know what I am going to do with the floor going toward the bow.

Kris

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 06:59:10 AM »
Well I have done some work on the project in the last couple of weeks.  First off, I bought a new Minn Kota Traxxis 70 from the Minn Kota Factory Store on line for the stern.  This is 24volt with a Maximizer, 42 inch shaft, $399.99 and should do ok to push it around the reservoirs I fish.  I also have a Johnson 6 hp that can be put on the stern to use in Lake Marburg in PA.  Hoping to have an all around, nicely set up boat when done.
My fishing Buddy Bob, fishnkamp, went to DNR in Belair with me to get the Ouachita registered so I can put it in the water soon.  After that we went to Eastern Marine, The Trailer Parts Superstore, in Newark, DE for some parts.  My main idea for the trip was to replace the 12" tires with 8" so I could drop this boat down.  It seemed awfully high to me and I don't want to have a hard time launching or getting it back on the trailer.  This boat will not be going on long trips to go fishing.  Most places will be within an hour and a half.  I will have the Ranger done for the long trips, like Tennessee.

They are 4.80-8, Load range C, 6 ply rating, weight capacity 745 pounds.  Since I have removed most of the additional weight and not running a golf cart with lots of batteries it should be fine.  I also got a spare.
Next on the list was a winch stand mount and a bow stop.  I am thinking this one will work when I get the winch.  Might have to do a little redesign so I can have room to swing the handle,

I picked up a six switch panel for operating everything in the boat and a tarp to start covering it.
I ordered another piece on-line for the trailer.  It is a CE Smith Jon Boat Bow Support.  This really made the boat a little more steady on the trailer when I am inside.

I finally replaced the trailer jack that has been broken since I got it.  Picked it up at work and I think it will work out fine.

Last, but not least, I ordered a TM pedal pan from LeBroc.  It arrived the other day and it is really nice.  I have been looking at these things all over but couldn't pull the trigger to order at $125 or more.  This one was $67.00 .  I found it while looking at their seats through Bass Boat Central.  It will be put in the floor on the Ouachita when it gets done.  Waiting on more Azek to finish the front deck and put under the trolling motor.
I also got a lot of sanding done the boat.  From the top of the gunwales down to the first ridge inside is almost done.  Top of the gunwales to across and down the outside to the waterline is done.  Stern, inside and out, is done.  Bow panel is done.  Next is to prep the bottom on the inside for the pickup bed paint.  I am also using this across all the supports inside where the rivets are.  The bottom has already been painted with it once and this stuff is hard to sand off.  Each rivet on the bottom has been covered with clear sealer.  I have been scraping that off and will replace with 3M 5200.  I am sure this boat will be much drier when I am done.
Here is a picture of what it looks like now.

Almost forgot.  Look at the top of the red bow guides.  I have glued on some PVC fittings to install a pair of CE Smith lights on top.  These lights have red LEDs to the back and amber LEDs toward the tow vehicle.  This should make backing the trailer down the ramp a little easier at O Dark Thirty.  Pictures when installed.
More work in the near future.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 06:56:39 AM by Kris »

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 09:21:56 AM »
Thats a great idea!!
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

Kris

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 08:42:49 PM »
Well, I finally got the front deck portion done this afternoon.  Not completely but close enough to show some pics.  Still have to put some additional support under the TM pedal pan and the front seat mounting.  I also still have to finish the rear seat mounting and some movement limiters to complete the job.  Gonna be hot as Hades for the next couple of days and I have a club tournament on Saturday morning.  Here are some pics of the almost complete floor supports.

I bought new 15 inch poles, base plates and seat mounts at BPS the other day.  Also got some other stuff to get this boat done.  Still need electronics and some other stuff that I would like to find used.  Next purchase will probably be the plywood and Thompson's to get the floor totally done.  That may be a couple of weeks because all this stuff has to come back out so I can take the boat to Piney Run and leak test it.  Still have to scrape, clean and seal the inside where it might leak.  I am really lovin the setup in here.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 08:04:16 AM by Kris »

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 09:43:55 PM »
That's a lot of good usable space right there!

Kris

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 02:05:23 PM »
The space is 13 1/2 feet from the front deck to the stern.  I think this will be the roomiest boat I have ever redone.
Today I was planning on dropping this in the water at Piney Run to see if, where and how badly it leaks.  I am sure after the new aluminum in the bow and stern that it will be greatly reduced.  I couldn't find the key for the lock so I decided to do some things since I couldn't go anywhere.
I cleaned the inside bottom of the hull yesterday and used the wet dry vac to get it all out.  I put 3M 5200 sealer at every one of the rivet cracks and forced as much under the support as I could.  I had already painted the rear most area so I gave it a second coat.  I continued toward the bow and finished it all this morning.  Here's a pic:

And one more up at the bow:

While I had the bedliner paint out I decided to redo from the water line down.  I also painted the stern and started on some of the bottom.  While trying to spin around for a better angle I knocked over the gallon of bedliner paint.  So I did as much as I could and will probably have to buy another quart.  Here is what the waterline down looks like now:

The gray primer area will be fire engine red after some sanding.  I have been working on the inside a little but can't do more until the paint is reall dry on the bottom of the hull.  Still have some scraping, sanding and painting in there to do.
the floor supports are all completed and I have the plywood to finish the floor.  Still have to get some electrical tubing to run the wring.  I have most of the stuff needed except the bow socket, bow light, stern light and some hardware.
BTW, I just bought a Lowrance Elite 5 HDI from Gander Mountain for 269.95 plus shipping which I thought was a pretty nice deal.  It looks like I will be using my Humminbird Helix 5 Sonar/DI on the bow. 
More work to do and more pictures to come.  Hope I am not boring ya'll with this.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 08:09:02 AM by Kris »

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 02:45:50 PM »
Nice job!  Nice deal on the unit, but I hope you made sure it was IN STOCK.  lol.   remember I broke up with Gander. lol

Kris

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 05:26:13 PM »
It is in shipment and should arrive this week.  I was going to try to do two of them but just couldn't swing it.  I think it is a really good deal but a fixed income just can't do what I used to do.

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 09:25:52 PM »
You'll like that unit. It's a great choice!

Kris

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 02:43:23 PM »
I didn't have a lot of time to work on it today but...................  I couldn't wait to see what she would look like in red.  I hand sanded it with 220 and made sure to smooth out a couple of places.   I used my usual oil base enamel from TSC and added some Petitrol for smoothness and shine.  I think this can might be past its prime so I will use the newer can of Penetrol for a second coat on this side and paint for the other side.  Well, here it is:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 05:33:41 PM by Kris »

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 07:11:56 PM »
OOOOOO SNAP.....I think I just named your boat.  "the red rocket"    ;)

Looks great!

Kris

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 04:11:27 PM »
My order from Gander Mountain/Overton's just arrived a little while ago.  This Elite 5 HDI is a neat piece and I may save this for the Ranger.  Of course I will put the Humminbird Helix 5 DI on the bow of the Ouachita for now.  Not sure I need GPS on the Red Rocket for now.  I would like to put another Humminbird on her but only needs to have water depth/temp at the rear operating position.  Most of the lakes it will be on aren't big enough to worry about position.  I am thinking about a Lowrance 3x HDI for the bow of the Ranger.  Only time will tell.