Author Topic: On to my next reservoir boat - My Ouachita 16 footer  (Read 10802 times)

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
Re: On to my next reservoir boat - My Ouachita 16 footer
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2016, 07:48:37 PM »
I have heard great things about the Helix.  Those are both nice units for the $. 
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

Kris

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2016, 03:19:49 PM »

My fishing Buddy came over this morning and helped me get the Ouachita off the trailer and turned over.  While I was waiting for him I got the boat hooked up and moved it from where we would be turning it over.  I also installed the CE Smith lights to the top of the bow guides.  Still not wired but they are on there.  Here is a picture of one of them.

I drilled the hole and ran some wire up to connect with the wires for them and got them on.  I had to use some PVC parts to get them installed.  I also have to repaint the bow guides and I think I will move them from where they are.  I am also going to add carpet to the bow guides to keep from scratching them up.  Here's a picture of the bow guides:

Last but not least is the bottom of the boat.  Bob and I were out there several hours getting it off the trailer and scraping around the rivets to remove the clear silicone sealer put on by the previous user.  I just finished up around 2:45 scraping, sanding and putting 3M 5200 on every underwater rivet.  As I have said previously, I am trying to make this old girl as water tight as I can.  According to the tube it takes up to 7 days for it to fully cure, non-tacky in 48 hours.  I made sure that the area around every rivet was clean for good adherence of the sealer.  Here is a look at the finished project:

Many of the parts are showing up for the boat and I hope to work on it as mush as I can around working part-time.  Cindy fell and messed up her back so she will be side lined for a little while. 
I really do enjoy taking these old boats and putting them back to use.  Hopefully this one will not let me down.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 08:15:10 AM by Kris »
So much water, so many fish, so little time.

fishnkmp

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2016, 07:28:55 PM »
Who shot all of those bullet holes in the bottom of your boat?  :D

Kris

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2016, 08:29:16 PM »
Neighbor who was tired of listening to the sander.

Kris

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2016, 05:19:15 PM »
I finally got a chance to work on the Ouachita today.  I ran to Lowe's this morning and picked up some stainless hardware that I know I will need this week.  I got started about 9AM working on the floor.  I have much of the plywood is cut to fit including the lower seat pedestal pieces.  I had cut the lower pieces the other day and got one coat of Thompson's water seal on them.  Second coat was completed today.
I got most of the floor cut out, test fitted and screwed down.  I removed all the screws after drilling holes for the seat pedestal bolts.  I also test fitted the TM pedal pan to make sure it fit well.  I had removed all the plywood after screwing it down so that I can treat the screw holes with Thompson's.  All but one piece of flooring is cut and all but one of the pieces cut today has had its first coat of Thompson's.
It's all put away now and I have to work all day tomorrow.  Back at it on Tuesday getting this boat ready for the water.
More info, including pictures, on Tuesday.

Kris

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2016, 04:38:47 PM »
Ya'll should have seen me working here today.  I put my Daughter's car back together and finished up the floor on the Ouachita.  I had some of the floor painted and put in the boat the other day and did some final fitting on the front deck.  I was worried that a full width piece of plywood would not fit into the front of the boat.  I was right.  I had to end up putting the plywood into the stern area and slide it up to the bow locker. Because the sides are filled with flotation they stick into the open area a little bit.  In the front it is exaggerated by bow as it moves in from the width of the stern.  I had to taper it starting at about 13 inches from the locker.  You can see the holes for the seat pedestal just behind the TM pedal pan.

There is another piece of plywood in the floor framing under where the pedestal mounts.  It is screwed into the framing and then the floor plywood is over top.  I drilled the seat pedestal mounting holes through both pieces of plywood.  There are additional screws holding down the floor plywood around the piece underneath the floor.  Here is another view from the stern:

You can see the mounting holes for the rear pedestal in the above pic.  I cut the two pieces of plywood you see missing yesterday and covered both sides with Thompson's Water Seal.  Both pieces got a second coating of it this morning on the top side.  The rear piece for the front deck was dry late this morning so I painted it red.  The forward piece for the rear deck I held off and painted about 1 PM. 

This last picture is another view of the whole floor.  You can see the missing pieces better from here.

I did bolt in the front of the front deck today.  I think I was smart and just used regular, non-locking nuts because I have to take the front deck out again to put the pedestal in the rear deck.  I will have to at least tip up the rear deck to tighten the bolts for it.  The front one will be a piece of cake because I can reach under the deck because it is raised.
More work to do, more pictures to come.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 08:19:57 AM by Kris »

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2016, 10:21:25 PM »
Thanks for the awesome step by step.  You do great work! 
Fishing is not my hobby, and a bass boat is not a “toy”. Fishing is a way of life in which I can’t do without. I fish in Ranger Boats. If those close to you don’t support your way of life, remove them. Life is short and kayaks are shorter. God is good, so get to know him. Hillary smells like sulfer.

Kris

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2016, 07:33:19 AM »
Thanks Bryan.  Now I hope the darn thing floats.  lol

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2016, 11:10:30 AM »
When you are ready to test it, give me a call!  You and Bob should come down and slay some smallmouth!  Drive into Vienna Va, and you're all set at Riverbend, or drive into Sterling and launch at Algonquian. 

Kris

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2016, 05:42:34 PM »
I still have a bit of work to do on the Red Rocket, lol.  I just might take you up on that after I have had it in the water around here, just to test how dry it actually is now.  I will let you know.  He Bob, what do you think? 

fishnkmp

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2016, 06:17:20 PM »
Well today the doctor finally put the skin graft on so I still a have to behave myself. I am going crazy!!!

Kris

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2016, 02:50:23 PM »
Well, on to the next phase of redoing this boat.  THE FLOOR IS FINALLY FINISHED!
Actually, the floor is finished, the pedestals are installed and so are the seats.  Here are a couple of pictures for you guys.

The above is the front deck, back of the front seat and the trolling motor pedal pan.  The next one gives you the rear deck.  The dark gray thing in front of the seat is the strap that holds the boat on the trailer.

Here's a picture from the stern.

A picture from the bow.

Next is a picture of the floor back at the stern.  The open area is for the bilge pump and maybe other things later.

Last but not least is the piece of aluminum edge that I had from this boat when I got it.  It is now installed.

Let me tell you it is hot here today.  I covered the boat a little while ago because I am soaked.  Too much beer I guess.  I now hear thunder off to the West from me and I am sure we are going to get a soaking again.  Won't be able to work on it for a couple days because my Step-Daughter messed up her car and I get the Honor of working on it for nothing.  At least it's mostly electrical and I enjoy that.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 08:26:03 AM by Kris »

Admin

• "The Treble Maker"
  • Administrator
  • dare he is....NET
    • www.baybass.com
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2016, 10:04:09 PM »
wow man, the Red Rocket is ALIVE!!  that boat has some attitude now.  You've done well my friend!

Kris

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2016, 05:31:35 AM »
Thanks Bryan.  Now it's on to wiring, installation of accessories and rear seat (cover for batteries, gas tank and switch panel.

Kris

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2016, 05:39:56 PM »
I got some more done on the Ouachita today.  I started out this morning about 11 AM after doing some things for Cindy.  She is still recuperating from her fall and damage to her back.  I started out running the 3/4 inch, Schedule 40, PVC pipe from the bow down to the lower deck.  I think it turned out really well on my seventh try to make it drop the four inches,  lol   There will be 8 gauge wire on the port, left, side for the bow mount MK Edge 55.  The Starboard side, right, will be for bilge pump, lights, electronics and courtesy light eventually.  Here are a couple of pics of that:

Port side

I will finish plumbing these in tomorrow.  They will be painted red and have some tie downs to hold them in place.  Next were the two seat boxes that will hold the batteries, some storage and the switch panel.  They are both 15 inches wide and 11 and a half inches tall.  The port side is 24 inches long and the starboard is 36 inches.  Here are some pics of them:

The next pic was a real let down for me.  Once I made the two boxes I set them in the boat to see how much room I have.  I was hoping to use  a 6 gallon tank but with only 12 inches between the two boxes I might see if I can find specs for a 3 gallon tank.  I am planning on using a 6 hp outboard on here once in a while.

I did install the switch panel in the starboard side box.  I also drilled the hole for the trolling motor socket.  I still have to hook that to the wires and put the two screws and nuts on it.  Here is a picture of the switch panel.

Tomorrow I hope to finish plumbing in the PVC pipe and run the wires.  Hopefully seal all the plywood in the two boxes and maybe one coat of color.  Gotta be careful because it take awhile before this oil base enamel dries completely. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 05:48:37 PM by Kris »