Author Topic: On to my next reservoir boat - My Ouachita 16 footer  (Read 10814 times)

Kris

Re: On to my next reservoir boat - My Ouachita 16 footer
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2016, 01:02:17 PM »
Hi LA, Presently I am using three portable chargers to charge the batteries.  I have an automatic charger from Schumacher I use on the two batteries in parallel.  Then I use two other chargers to charge the batteries in series for 24 volts.  I hope to one day afford a four bank charger and install it in the boat.  Retired on a fixed income might take awhile. 
So much water, so many fish, so little time.

Kris

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2016, 01:25:52 PM »
As I said in my last thread about the boat I had done some other things and got some painting done.  Here is a picture of the straps on the battery boxes:

The lids are interference fit but nothing like a strap to add a little safety to the people behind me.  I also installed one of the new Frabill fish rulers that measures up to 19 inches and then extends out to 36.  Never know when the 36 inch largemouth will show up.

[size=78%]I had installed the Fraybill because I had an evening tournament coming up and we were using my boat.  I also needed to install numbers and registration on the boat so I did a quickie trick and put the numbers and sticker on a piece of 3/8 Starboard.  Here is a pic of the finished product.[/size]

[/size][size=78%]I have off today and tomorrow so I wanted to get some other things done on the boat.  I have one thing that I haven't had the time to play with and decided to do that today.  I have had these two pairs of "Rod Sitters" that I wanted to install.  I had some sheet metal stripping that I decided to use and make some mock ups for using heavier aluminum later.  The port side one turned out great and will allow the person operating the bow mount to put four rods in easy reach.  BTW, the top rod in the picture is a 7' 2" Ardent with the tip pointed at the bow.  If I turn my 7' 6" Ardent with the tip toward the stern it will also fit.[/size]

So on to the other side of the boat.  Well now the fish ruler is in the way so it needs to be moved.  Put the same holders on this side.  Made the stern one first and thought it turned out great.  Finished the front one and realized I did not take into consideration the four inch difference in height.  Remember I said these would be mock ups?  I will correct that when I make the others.

I have a lot of sanding and painting to do but trying to get out tomorrow at Piney Run.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 06:45:08 AM by Kris »

fishnkmp

« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2016, 07:02:10 PM »
Man that boat is looking and fishing great!

Kris

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2016, 05:09:40 AM »

Here is where it all started.  A Ouachita 16 foot aluminum jon boat that didn't look all that bad, until you started looking at all the stuff in it.

It sat in this place for 5 -7 years without a cover on it.  Seats were trash and most of the carpet was dryrot.  It had been covered in a Marsh Grass vinyl wrap that was now hard in places, peeling and looking like hell.

The insides were covered in the aluminum you see here.  I likened it to the aluminum you used to see in backyard pools.  You ran the aluminum around, hooked the ends together, dropped in the pool liner, put the retaining plastic on top of the liner and filled with water.  You remember them.  It would give when I walked on it and the only thing that saved it was the insulation/flotation underneath.

This is what I found underneath when I removed the floor, pink, open cell foam.  It was amazing how much each piece of this weighed.  My neighbor and I could not lift the rear of the boat off the trailer.  After I removed the foam I could lift it myself.

After I removed the swimming pool aluminum off the inside of the stern I started poking around and found this.  Both ends of the wood that holds the outboard motor were rotten beyond belief.  This is also when I found the pressure treated plywood under this.  I could see some of the holes in the stern piece of aluminum from outside.  When you ran a flashlight across the inside it looked like a starry night in Louisiana from behind.  I remember those nights from Ft. Polk and East Texas back in the late 60s.

I thought the inside of this boat would work out for me until I got my fat butt up on the raised decks.  Supports were sheet metal, I believe, pop rivetted to the boat.  Granted, for a smaller fellow this might have been ok.  Then I decided I wanted to have something I could put my youngest Grandson in and not worry about him, or me, falling overboard.

This picture is of the side of the boat from where the 6 - 6 volt golf cart batteries were stored.  I believe it is from where the batteries gassed when charging.  I have treated it several times with baking soda and hoping it holds up.

This is the best I could do on the outside of the hull.  Lots of sanding and stripping to get that vinyl wrap off the boat. 
The trailer was not bad but I redid it also.  Just wanted you guys to see where it started and how it went from This to That.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 05:18:44 AM by Kris »

fishnkmp

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2016, 10:59:25 PM »
That is amazing! I kinda miss the camo lol ;D

Alex Lamont

« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2017, 08:36:54 PM »
Thanks for posting these pics. I have been looking for the brand of boat my father had when I was growing up for years. Ever since he died and when I came across this post and saw the wide side rails and the bow I knew it was his old boat (not his in particular but the same type he had.  I grew up on that boat but never knew the company.  Now I have to hunt for one for sale.  I know it is a  Ouachita but what model is the boat? :) :) :) :)

Kris

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2017, 06:51:19 AM »
Sorry I missed this when you posted on the 17th.
I have been searching trying to find out what model this is for a couple years now.  Ouachita also built some fiberglass boats before they went out of business.  I can tell you that it is 16 foot, 4 foot at the floor and I believe it is 63 inches at the beam.  It is the only one I have seen in my search that has the wide gunwales and they are filled with flotation by the way.
I really like this boat.  I originally built it for me to sit while fishing because my balance has deteriorated getting older.  I also wanted something with low decks so I can take my young Grandson out and not worry about him or me falling overboard. 
I have seen two for sale, one on Baltimore Craigslist and one at the Gamber Fishing Flea Market this year in February.  I believe they were made in Arkansas and there was a dealer in PA. 
Good luck finding one.

Alex Lamont

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2017, 10:35:49 AM »
Thanks for getting back to me.  I was 5 when my father bought his Ouachita and it was safe as can be, 41 now and never fell in.  I hope you enjoy the boat,  It looks great.

Kris

« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2017, 05:07:06 PM »
Thanks Alex.  I still have a ways to go to finish it completely.  Gotta modify the inside a little, sand the outside and paint it all and put some wood around the gunwale areas.  It has been a labor of love to get the old girl back from the waste heap and working again.